How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alan Gibstein, M.D. Your Own Question
Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 1833
Experience:  Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Alan Gibstein, M.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Vaginal bleeding 18 years after hysterectomy... cause for

Resolved Question:

Vaginal bleeding 18 years after hysterectomy . . . cause for concern?    Appointment with MD next week.    Also, have had constant cough - deep, with phelgm for almost three months.   Have seen MD three times - antiobiotics, prednisone tx, cough pearls, and cough med with codeine . . .nothing helps.    Can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 8 years ago.
DearCustomer As your gynecologic expert, I can`t add much to what your Primary has given you to treat the upper respiratory infection.But, the prolonged and significant coughing may be causative to the vaginal bleeding. If you had a complete hysterectomy (uterus AND cervix removed)there is a scar at the top of the vagina that can crack and bleed with unusual stretching or presssure.This might be especially likely at your age if you are menopausal and having change of life symptoms which would thin the vaginal walls. You need to be examined ASAP to look at the vagina. If the cervix was left in,then it is doubly important to be examined and have a Pap smear. The answer is "yes" you can get cervical cancer if you had a partial hysterectomy. However, if you have had annual visits and Paps that is not very likely to be the cause. Try not to worry and be seen by your Gyn ass well as your internist.    good luck
Alan Gibstein, M.D. and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you