How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 11252
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 56 year old, still having horrible periods. Just this

Customer Question

I am a 56 year old, still having horrible periods. Just this year (March) was a gap, period cme in Oct. Always been a heavy heavy bleeder. Was diagnosed with several SMALL fibroids in June, Doctor was not concerned. I am really ready NOT to cope with this any longer. Pain was very severe last month, bleeding is so excessive now that it truly is affecting my lifestyle. What should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 8 years ago.
You have several options. One would be to go an depo-Lupron, which would produce a menopausal state and cause your small fibroids to shrink or disappear. Since you are probably not far from menopause, this may help until you get there. There are minor surgical procedures such as ablation that would make your periods much less or gone. A hysterectomy would definitely end your periods, but may be too much treatment.