OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Could what looks like a blood blister be a STD?

Customer Question
I had what looked like...

I had what looked like a blood blister on my vagina, I thought it might be an ingrown hair, so I popped it and blood came out.  I am having some tenderness and itching in my vagina. Can you tell me what this sounds like?

Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: OB GYN
11/29/2008
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Heal, Doctor replied 9 years ago
Dr Heal
Dr Heal, Doctor

What exactly you mean by blood blister? Was it a blister actually filled with blood or was it just a pustule or eruption on your labia as inside vagina you cannot manipulate. I need to know clearly to advice properly.

Was the itching after this bursting done by you?

It was a hard bump, raised slightly just near my hair line – but not exactly in my vagina. It looked black in color and could not manipulate it. I thought it was maybe an ingrown hair from shaving so I popped it and what looked like blood came out. It was only red, no puss or anything else. I had some slight itching before I noticed the lump. I don’t have any other symptoms, no discharge, odor or burning when I urinate.

Any history of recent periods which might have caused such an eruption. Any recent sexual contact - unprotected? It can be a sebaceous cyst too where the discharge would be fatty bloody discharge when you try to burst it open. Pl answer so that we can arrive at a proper diagnosis.

Yes, I have unprotected sexual intercourse once. I never had anything like this with my period ever before. It was not a fatty blood discharge, just really red like blood. I noticed this on Wednesday and popped it that night which was very hard to do. I actually used a pin. Since then it has been red where it was but not really sore, just a little when touched.

That was not the right thing to do as you might get infected/tetany etc. Now the bleeding that came may be from the puncture that you did using the pin. Now the best thing for you to do is to use antiseptic lotion or Hydrogen peroxide to wash the area to prevent any infection. If there is discharge from inside the vagina you should be alarmed. Just take care to keep the area dry as much as possible. The bump may be due to the unprotected sex and due to any unhygienic conditions at that time. Drink cranberry juice to keep the pH normal. Once after weekend go to your doctor for a visual check as I don't want you to follow any suggestions that come from unexamined sources.

I know you can’t give me exact answers without an examination but in your experience does this sound typical of an STD? That is my main concern.

Possibilities are more during unprotected sex and that's the reason for the suggestion to get a smear test done to rule out such a thing. there are cases of chlamydia where people go without any much symptoms but get diagnosed at a late stage. so please get an evaluation done to get cleared.

Dr Heal
Dr Heal, Doctor
Dr Heal
Dr Heal
Dr Heal, Doctor