Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I had essure procedure on Friday. I was supposed to have

I had essure procedure on Friday. I was supposed to have novasure immediately after. Dr. wasn't able to place second coil in tube and told me he would have to do a laprascopic surgery for that tube at a later date. I chose not to have novasure on Friday because I was in a great deal of pain and figured I might as well wait until the laproscopic surgery so I won't have to deal with the pain. Now everything I am reading is that it is not safe to have the novasure done after essure because of the electrical current and the metal coil.
Any advise?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 8 years ago.
Customer

Essure can be done immediately after Novasure but not immediately before.

As you are probably aware, a metal spring is inserted into the tubes during a essure procedure. If Novasure is done immediately after the essure there is a risk of electrical current passing to the sprin. But once novasure is done, an essure spring can be inserted without any risks.

It takes about 1 - 3 months for the metal essure spring in the tube to react with the tubal tissues and get gradually to be covered with it to form a plug. It is said that Novasure can be done after this stage.

But I beleive that it would still be better to go in for the Thermoblation (where the endometrium is destroyed by heat through a ballon inserted in the uterus instead of by electrical current)instead of the Novasure electroblation since some amount of risks still exist.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My doctor stated that there is new studies that show it is safe.....I haven't found any online. I was seconds away from having it done on Friday. Now I am wondering if I should change doctors. He is a highly reputable doctor in a reputable office. Also I heard that you are supposed to have an ultra sound prior to the essure and I believe he used an old ultra sound from atleast 6 months prior. If I had a ultra sound right before the essure wouldn't the problem with my tube have shown up and I wouldn't have had to go through so much pain?
I have heard that there are new studies showing that it is safe but I am afraid that I am still not doing essure after novasure since I beleive that a risk (even if small) does exist. Neither are my colleagues. And without personal experience I would not able to tell you if this is safe.

Yes, an ultrasound should be done immediately before an essure procedure to chcke the inside of the uterus and also the presence of any growths which may distort the position of the tube. A 6 month old ultrasound is not reliable.

Whether the problem with your tube would have shown up would depend on the problem - a scar tissue bocking the tubal hole would not show up. But a small polyp or other growth inside or outside the uterus would have shown up.