OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have this itchy feeling inside the lips of my vagina.

Customer Question
There is a film that...
I have this itchy feeling inside the lips of my vagina. There is a film that comes on the inner lips that I can sort of just pull off. It doesnt hurt at all but very itchy. Is this a yeast infection? And if so how long do they usually last?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: OB GYN
9/5/2008
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Saul, Doctor replied 9 years ago
Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor

Thank you so much for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

The most common cause of vaginal itching is a yeast infection, so this is definitely possible. Some other signs of yeast infection are a white discharge, but sometimes you can have a yeast infection with minimal to no discharge. The film that you describe is most likely caused by the yeast, and many women describe it this way.

You can try some over-the-counter yeast medication like monistat to get relief. If it works, you probably had a yeast infection and you do not need to worry. This will usually clear up in 1-2 days with the medication. Without medication, it is difficult to predict how long it will last. Some just get worse and worse, and some yeast infections will heal by themselves over time.

If the symptoms persist despite the treatment, you should see your doctor as it may be something else.

I hope you find this helpful. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me. If you are satisfied, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so that I get credit for my work. BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated. Good Luck! Dr. SaulJE

Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor