How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Saul Your Own Question
Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 2145
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Saul is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 42 and want to get pregnant. I have never tried but do

This answer was rated:

I'm 42 and want to get pregnant. I have never tried but do not have any reason to think I have any issues. My husband had a vasectomy many years ago. I want to find out where I go to take the basic tests to see if I can conceive and I need a recommendation for a Vasectomy reversal doctor. Any thoughts?
Thank you so much for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

Regarding a reversal for your husband, he needs to see a urologist. If you can find one who specializes in male infertility, that would be ideal. But if you can't any urologist should be able to help you.

As far as your own fertility is concerned, many women can get pregnant at 42. However, you are much less fertile at your age than you were when you were younger. Many women therefore have serious problems getting pregnant when they are over the age of 40.

You can see any obgyn for advice, and we usually recommend that you try getting pregnant for about six months before you seek treatment from an infertility specialist. However, there are a few reasons why you might want to see an infertility specialist sooner. One is because it will likely be some time before you can figure out if your husband can get his tubes reversed, making you even older when you start trying. The clock is ticking, and it is probably a good idea to get checked out before he goes through surgery.

Therefore, in your case, I think you should see an infertility specialist, together with your husband and decide on an overall plan. There are so many variables and possibilities, that you really need a full consultation. You should find a board certified reproductive endocrinologist (the fancy name for an infertility doctor) in your area. Obviously I cannot recommend someone specific, but that is why there is such a thing as board certification. It means that they have at least met the standards of the national board for their specialty. I hope you can successfully have a baby!

I hope you find this helpful. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me. If you are satisfied, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so that I get credit for my work. BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated. Good Luck! Dr. SaulJE
Dr. Saul and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you