OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Why do I feel nausea after intercourse? I heave and have the

Customer Question
Why do I feel nausea...
Why do I feel nausea after intercourse? I heave and have the urge to throw up, but then I get bad bowel movements for up to a couple of hours afterwards, This is something totally new and has only begun since my husband and I started to have relations after my c-section. (FYI - OB tested me for STDs b/c I am thinking of Mirena, and all looked good)
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: OB GYN
8/10/2008
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Saul, Doctor replied 9 years ago
Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Thank you for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

Does this happen every time you have intercourse? Does it happen only if you have an orgasm, or even if you don't? If you masturbate, do you get nauseous then as well? Please answer these questions, I would love to help you figure this out. Dr. SaulJE
It happens almost, if not each time, even when I don't have an orgasm. No nausea with masterbation.
If it helps to note, here is some recent history: emergency c-section due to ruptured placenta. About two weeks post-surgery, began to feel some gut pain that would come and go. Sometimes to the left of the belly button, many more times to the right. Then it stopped about a month or so ago. Never felt the symptoms of nausea and such after relations prior to these last few months. And, while pregnant and right after, all my cultures, including pap, came back normal. Oh, I had very high blood pressure at time of birth and for two weeks afterwards, but not preeclampsia (had that with my first child, but not this one).
Thank you for the additional information. This is very helpful in understanding your problem.

I suspect that your symptoms of nausea are not due to sex itself, but more likely due to the pressure that is placed upon your stomach when your are having intercourse. I think you are probably still healing after the c-section, and that when your husband lays on top of you, or even if you are on top of him, the pressure on your abdomen causes the nausea.

Since you don;t have nausea with masturbation, and it happens even if you don;t have an orgasm, it seems like it is not specifically sex related. let me suggest that you try different positions for intercourse that do not involve pressure on your abdomen, you can try what is called doggy-style with you on all fours and your partner entering from your rear, or with you sitting on top of him. I think you will find that you do not have nausea when having sex in this way.

I hope you find this helpful. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me. If you are satisfied, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so that I get credit for my work. BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated. Good Luck! Dr. SaulJE
Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor