Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN
Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN, OB/GYN
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN, Primary Care MD, 12 years exp. Also specialize in STD testing, Infertility
10583076

I HAVE A LUMP TYPE THING IN BETWEEN MY VAGINA AND ANUS

I HAVE A LUMP TYPE THING IN BETWEEN MY VAGINA AND ANUS (CALLED PERINEUM I THINK) IT IS VERY ITCHY AND UNCOMFORTABLE AND HAS BEEN THERE FOR A FEW MONTHS. aNY IDEAS WHAT THIS COULD BE?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN replied 9 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Can you describe the lump?

Does it seem under the skin, or visibly on top?

Is it red , painful , or swollen?

Did it form an open sore?

Does it have a scab on it?

Does it seem as if there is fluid in it?

Is there only one lesion?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
There is just one lump that is quite small so it does not seem to be swollen.
It is visible on top so i do not think it is under the skin.
it is not red - just normal skin colour but is painful to touch.
It has bled once. i think from when i wiped after the toilette and it caught.
It does not seem to have fluid in it. Just feels like excess skin - but painful and there is no scabbing.

Thank you

Thank you for the additional information.

It is possible that the lump you describe is a sebaceous cyst. These Are generally harmless, and can happen from an inflamed hair follicle, or they may happen when there is trauma to the area, including sex. They are usually the same color as your skin, and they contain a cheese-like substance called keratin. These generally require no treatment , unless they become painful, inflamed, and swollen. IN this case, the cyst may need drained, and antibiotics may be needed. Any time there is a lump present in the vaginal area, it should be properly examined by a physician to determine exactly what it is. While this is likely a sebaceous cyst, that is only one possible option, the possibility of it being an STD, tumor, or infection, as well as cancer should be explored as well to be safe. Thank you.

Here is a link on sebaceous cysts http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/dermatology/a/sebaceouscyst.htm