OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Is it normal to have blood clots during your period ( almost

Customer Question
looks like jello sometimes)?...
is it normal to have blood clots during your period ( almost looks like jello sometimes)?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: OB GYN
7/29/2008
OB GYN Doctor: DrKevinMD, Doctor replied 9 years ago
DrKevinMD
DrKevinMD, Doctor
Thanks for your question. Yes it is normal to pass some clots during a period for some people. It is important to notice changed in your period. Some minor changes in the amount of bleeding is expected just as the length and timing of your period can have normal fluctuations. If you notice a sudden change in your periods this could mean other issues are taking place. For example, if you are trying to get pregnant and have a period that is late and then heavier than normal with clots for the first time then this can sometimes mean you may have had a very early miscarriage. Another example would be periods that are getting progressively heavier each month along with increasingly severe cramping, this could mean you are developing a condition called endometriosis.
Minor changes are expected and clots can be normal but if you are noticing drastic changed or a trend towards heavier periods you may want to see your doctor.
Hope this helps.
DrKevinMD
DrKevinMD, Doctor
is it normal to have clots each period?
it is normal for some people to have clots with each period. Normal periods are different for every woman but some women have clots every month and this is considered normal.
It is not normal for someone that typically has very mild periods to go from small amounts of bleeding to large amounts of bleedig with clots.
DrKevinMD
DrKevinMD
DrKevinMD, Doctor