OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

This has also been described as a ''High grade mass found on

the ovary by ultra sound...
This has also been described as a ''High grade mass found on the ovary by ultra sound test''. This was found when looking for a reason for persistent bladder infections. Bladder is healthy. Have had a blood test which was ????125 can''t remember the letters. The info about the ''mass'' was written on the blood test request. I couldn''t ask at the time because I had left the department before I read the writing. Am also having a dye test on my kidneys. Thanks.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/14/2008
Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Thank you so much for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help.

The blood test was CA-125. I am not sure what "high grade mass" means because that is not typically how ovarian masses are described. However, based on what you wrote, it seems that they saw something on your ovary that was suspicious for cancer. The CA-125 test is a blood test that is usually elevated in women with ovarian cancer. If that test result is elevated, than the chances of ovarian cancer are significant. If it is not elevated, it is very unlikely that you have ovarian cancer.

Even if the results are elevated, it often turns out to be benign and not cancer, but the chances of cancer are higher.

You need to await the results, and your doctor will help you understand what to do based on what the blood test shows.

I hope this was helpful to you. If you are satisfied please don't forget to ACCEPT the answer. If you have any more questions, please feel free to respond to this question. Good Luck! Dr. SaulJE
Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Thankyou that is one of the explanations that I was expecting. I shall wait and see what happens on my next appointment. I am waiting to see a gynecologist. Could my persistent bladder infection have any connection to this 'incidental find' or is it likely to be due to some other cause.
Unless the ovarian mass was extremely large, it is unlikely that it has anything to do with the bladder infections. The kidney dye test is much more likely to find the cause of the bladder infections. I hope it all works out well for you. Dr. SaulJE
Very grateful, thank you .
You're very welcome. Good Luck! Dr. SaulJE
Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor