Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I read a post you answered previously about a slight

whirring or whistling sound with...
I read a post you answered previously about a slight whirring or whistling sound with a Nissan Rogue. My daughter is looking at a 2012 and I noticed a slight whistling sound as she accelerated today, not loud but we both noticed it. Would a mechanic be able to detect a problem without a lot of work? Considering purchasing the car, it has about 92K miles but has a clean car fax and you can tell it's been well maintained.
7/14/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned you will receive a system automated call request, that is not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Also I am not paid hourly by just answers, I am only paid when you rate me, so if you could please respect my time and knowledge by rating me when we are finished that would be wonderful. If you could please indicate your level of experience and what you are looking to get out of your session today. Ok lets get started!

Depending on how fast the whistle is found is how long it will take, if not obvious what he will have to do is apply tape to suspected areas reach speeds where the noise is present until noise goes away and then repair found spot, this could take up to 2-3 hours, if your buying a new vehicle I would have it inspected first, it could be whistling due to a accident and bad repair, not all accident are recorded on carfax, also I would not recommend buying that vehicle as the transmissions and other computer systems have issues on that model, if your looking for a suv type go with the rav 4 or crv , much better choice

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm confident the sound isn't coming from a repair, car fax documentation is clean and owners kept records of all oil changes, tire rotations, etc. The sound is not loud and isn't audible when driving a steady speed. I've heard one person refer to a cry or cv belt but you think it's associated with transmission?I appreciate your assistance

the cvts do have a whine to them, and also the timing chains can do that as well, it would be hard to say 100% without actually hearing the nosie weather its cvt, engine or something else,good thing is when you take it in I will be here for full assistance, before you approve anything let me know what they say and I can usually get the bill down and also ensure the diagnosis is spot on. This way you have your own unbiased mechanic in your corner the whole time.
Also this is not a one and done deal, no worries on time, this question lasts as long as we need to get the situation fixed and could last over a number of days, it doesn’t cost any extra per question or time limit, just the one fee and that’s it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since we haven't yet purchased the vehicle I thinks it's best we look at other make/models. I appreciate your timely responses!

yes I would agree, let me know if you have any questions about other models

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician