Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 won’t start after running out of…

Customer Question
My 2006 Nissan Maxima...

My 2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 won’t start after running out of gas. I do not hear fuel pump when I turn the key. Fuse and relay for the pump are both good. The alarm light is blinking and it also doesn’t beep when I lock the doors like normal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I’ve tried checking fuses, fuel pump relay, and jumping the battery.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Nissan
7/12/2018
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago
David Gieswein

Hello Dave here, I am a Nissan factory trained technician. I can help you with this issue. Please respond when ready!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m ready
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

Have you tried starting fluid yet?

Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

If it starts with starting fluid then you know 100% that you have a fuel delivery issue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven’t tried it yet been short on time. About to head to the car here in a few minutes.
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

Take your time. I am at work and have been short on time too. But I will surely make time for you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve been reading through the manual and the manual is saying if the security light is solid with the key in the ignition it is in immobilized mode.
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

Do you have a key fob?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

Do the doors lock and unlock with it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They do but the horn does not sound like usual
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

Don't you have a slot on the left side of the dash that you put the remote into? Or is it push button?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just a normal key to start if that’s what you mean
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

Oh ok. Is it the same key you have always used?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

I don't know what else to tell you. Sounds like you have a bad key since the key light stays on. I would still try some starting fluid.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll give it a try when I get a chance, I tried the spare key as well.
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

And still solid red?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still solid red
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

Try disconnecting the battery negative post and hold it on the positive terminal to discharge all power. Then reconnect the negative. This is a BCM reset that has worked for me in the past.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve already reset the BCM
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

How did you do that? The way I just told you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Disconnecting negative terminal with key on and tapped brakes. That’s how I’ve always reset my cars computers that way.
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

That is not good enough. Tapping the brakes only actuates the hydraulic portion of the brakes. Without a ground the brake lights will not work. Please try the way I recommended.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not able to get to the car currently but I’ve been doing some reading and found a guy with a similar problem. Mechanic told him the fans coming on meant the ECM was having trouble communicating with something. He got another ECM and reprogrammed keys and it started working. Not saying that will solve my problem but I will reset ECM the way you said when I get the chance and go from there.
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

You didn't tell me the fans where on all the time when the key is turned on. That's classic PCM failure symptom.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My bad, honestly wasn’t paying attention.
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

That's ok, I understand. Honestly, I didn't know either for awhile till I started getting enough notches on my belt.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If resetting the ECM doesnt work what would you suggest?
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

Honestly, the next step would be to replace the ECM. The reason is because you know the BCM is good, because you can unlock/lock your doors. The ECM controls the fans. So if there is no input to the IPDM from the ECM, the IPDM automatically grounds the fan relay.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would have to reprogram keys to the new ecm correct?
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

That is correct.

Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

You need to make sure you bring both keys with you when programming

Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

Can you replace the ECM yourself?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can, what all models will work with an 06 maxima? Or is only an 06 ECM going to work
Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

That I don't know and I would recommend you stay with a 06.

Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

You could end up with a check engine light forever if there is a mismatch of any kind

Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

There is even places online where you give them the VIN and the program the ECM for you. All you do is plug it in. However, programming the keys may require you to take it to the dealer.

Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

A refurbished ECM is what they give you.

Nissan Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 1 month ago

If you no longer need help on this issue can you please rate me? Thanks