Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1989 Nissan Skyline GTR with a 2.6L engine. I

Customer Question
I have a 1989...

I have a 1989 Nissan Skyline GTR with a 2.6L engine. I arrived on Guam (90f average temperature) and began experiencing an issue where the car would turn on and drive normally for the first time, or when it was left for a couple of hours. On a warm start, it would experience stalling on startup unless the throttle was depressed. It would also randomly lose power while driving. I recently replaced the engine, turbos, water temp sensor, MAF sensors, coil packs, engine harness, alternator, starter, ignition harness, spark plugs, air intake, idle control valve, exhaust manifold, intake manifold, and ECU in addition to having the vehicle dyno tuned. I am still experiencing the same issues, could it be the Cam angle sensor or ignition module? I am at a loss. Temperatures are within spec and airflow seems consistent in addition to injector duty cycle. Please help!

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.

It has all new harnesses

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GT-R yourself? What have you tried so far?

See above

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Nissan
5/31/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 23 days ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hello

were the injectors replaced?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
with new Deastchwerks 800cc
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
The fuel pump was replaced with a Nismo unit as well
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 22 days ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

another expert here

I'd begin by checking for an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propaneor brake cleaner around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Air leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open up as things expand with temperature so depending on how the leak occurs ( on a hose joint with a clamp expansion will help seal and on a vacuum hose expansion ill make a leak worse) so leaks can be better or worse as the engine heats up.

1 vacuum leak path that you won't find with the above test is if the brake servo is leaking

so try clamping off servo hose to see if this has any effect

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I checked the vacuum and intake lines, no leaks, and the FPR is brand new and fuel pressure is showing to be good. could it be the fuel pump control module?

that's possible I'd say, if when you have the issue to open the fuel filler cap and listen for the noise of the pump, and if its running then measure the fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge to confirm if that's the issue as it should be 3.5 bar