Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2012 Nissan Pathfinder, roughly 90,000 miles. I'm having…

Customer Question
2012 Nissan Pathfinder, roughly...

2012 Nissan Pathfinder, roughly 90,000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm having intermittent starting problems. Sometimes it starts just fine, sometimes the key turns and nothing happens, sometimes the key turns and the engine cranks over but does not attempt to start. Usually I need to try 5-10 times before it starts up. It drives just fine after starting.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

I've tried different keys, same results

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't know if related, but I'm having trouble with the radio memory. most of the time it doesn't keep the station/volume it was at when I shut it off like it should

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Nissan
Relating to the radio memory issue... I've done research online and found there is a fuse responsible for the symptoms I have. The fuse is on a special bracket that the dealers push in during the vehicle prep. I've inspected this fuse and removed the special clip and reinserted it in, still didn't fix that problem. That problem is intermittent too, seems it will remember the radio position once every few weeks. So confused, hope you can help.
Average response time 9 minutes? It's been 90...
5/31/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 2 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

Hey there, thanks for the question.

I think I know whats going on here.

Are you near the vehicle now?

I'm at work, it's in the parking lot.
I could go to it.

Since you checked and verified the IOD fuse is good and you still continue to occasionally have the radio reset. You also experience turning the key and occasionally getting no response.

I would bet you have a loose battery terminal, it will present these EXACT symptoms.

Would a loose battery terminal also create the crank but no start?

all you need to do is go out to the car and pop the hood.

grab the metal batter terminals by the tightening nut an attempt to wiggle them. If they move ANY at all, they need to be tightened and it should resolve your issue completely.

I'll go check that...

k, report back here and let me know!

thanks

They seemed tight at first, but I was able to wiggle the positive cable quite a bit after more force. I'll grab a wrench and tighten them up, and clean the terminals while I'm at it...

Good deal, I would bet this will correct the radio issues and the no response issue from the ignition switch.

The cranking but not starting symptom may be something different though, like a cam sensor or something.

You will just have to see if that symptom returns or not and proceed form there.

I cleaned the terminals, and tightened them down real good. The truck started a couple times in a row (it's problem is intermittent and it does that sometimes), but the radio issue remains.
To clarify the intermittent starting problem: I'll attempt to start it (like this morning) and get sometimes nothing and sometimes crank-but-no-start all in succession. If "A" equaled nothing, and "B" equaled crank-but-no-start, this morning was AAABBBAABBBBB then start.

The only thing that will cause the radio to do that is it losing back up battery when the engine is off.

The IOD fuse in the center of the fuse panel you were talking about supplies an Ignition Off Draw for memory purposes. You have to be completely losing power to the radio at some point for that to happen. Nothing else will cause that.

A no crank and a crank no-start are generally different diagnostic path. The reason being is a no crank is an issue with the starting circuit where as a crank no start is a fuel/ignition issue completely unrelated to the starter circuit itself. Unless of course the IPDM was failing, which is pretty uncommon on this year model pathfinder.

I should add that I'm not getting a "check engine" light, so that means I'm not throwing a code of any kind. right? Wouldn't a cam sensor going bad do that?
I'm definitely more concerned with the no start issue. I don't believe the two are necessarily connected because I've only recently had the no-start issue and I've been putting up with the radio issue for as long as I've had this vehicle (4 months).
Can I somehow check the IPDM?

Cam sensors are a bit random when it comes to setting codes. Maybe 50% of the time they throw codes or an occasional VDC and SLIP light with a service engine light.

for what it's worth though a HARD START (long crank period) is almost always related to a failing crank sensor. Your issue being that you have 2 of them and no code to differentiate which one is the problem without a lab scope and we ONLY want a dealer sensor which complicates it from cost standpoint.

Could the IPDM create all of the symptoms I'm getting? Both the crank without start and the no crank?
What about the ignition switch? Can there be anything bad with that that could produce both these problems?

If the ignition switch was bad it would prevent it from cranking, but not from starting.

The IPDM controls the ECM and Starter relays. So it could potentially cause the no crank and crank no start becaus there would be no power to the coils. It's possible but pretty unlikely.

what about the ECM itself? Is there any way to test these things?

If you had an ECM failure then you could turn the key to ON and the condenser fan would run. Doubt that's your issue.

You doubt it's an ECU problem, and you say it's possible but unlikely an IPDM problem...
What are you suggesting I do?

I am suggesting a proper diagnosis when it's not starting.

This means when it cranks but won't start, check for spark or give it a shot of fuel to see if it fires up immediately. Figure out which is missing when it cranks but won't start so you can diagnose it. If there is no spark then its the cam sensors, just replace with OEM sensors.

Nissan Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago
eric remington

H​ello sometimes you may have more than one problem causing different symptoms. Lets try and figure out why we have a no crank (intermittent) condition. After cleaning terminals battery etc, make sure battery is good. load test it. If battery passes load test, next we must perfrom a voltage drop test on battery cables. I can show you how to do that after you tell me battery is less than 2 years old /and/or has been load tested. i have learned over the years basics cannot be ignored. after that we will perform a input starter solenoid test. So get crackin! Dont mind me

Nissan Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

Still need help?

For the experts knowledge, as well as anyone who might be able to find this conversation via a search...
I decided to purchase and install a new IPDM, it seemed like a logical place to start due to the quirky electrical issues I was having. After doing some research online, I found that these IPDM units for Nissan are a known problem causing a wide range of electrical type malfunctions. It has been a week now, and I have not had any trouble starting my Pathfinder, and the radio memory issue is completely fixed. A bit expensive of a part, but an easy 5 minute swap job.
Nissan Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

Good job and you did it all on your own!....Is there anything else I can help you with?

Nissan Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

90000 miles what about maintenance....are you up to date...know what you need? want recommendations?