Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How much shop time is invested to do a 60k service on a 2014…

Customer Question
How much shop time...

How much shop time is invested to do a 60k service on a 2014 altima.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just looking at the bill from the dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there a charge for this?

Mechanic's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Ok

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Nissan
5/30/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 19 days ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
It really depends on the technician and how they're feeling that day and if they run into any issues and whether or not they feel like they're going to haul tail around the car at 100 mph.You know for example it's easy to knock out a 40 or 60 K service and you know an hour and a half but you have to do things in the right order like hook up the brake flush machine and put the vehicle in the air and then while the brakes are flashing change the oil and the fuel filter and remember to go and move the the flush machine from wheel to wheel. Sometimes one of the bleeder screws is stock and you have to mess with it more, sometimes you get it up in the air and you realize you forgot to do something and now you have to put it back down.Sometimes you're on top of your game sometimes you're not sometimes one of the other technicians is using the brake flush machine and you can't do that.Sometimes there's not a lot of work and you only have a couple of them to do so you take your time or sometimes you got a big job to do so you hammer it out as quickly as possible because you're flat rate. If you're not flat rate then you're obviously not going to be as quick.This question is sort of like asking how long does it take a human being to travel 1 mile. Some of us can sprint the entire way if it's in the city, others of us can't, some of us are going to walk, some of us are going to run part of the way and then take a break.If you're wearing high heels and not running shoes then you're not going to be as efficient and the analogy I'm making there is that it requires having the correct tools sometimes as a mechanic we have to go out and we have to spend you know 50 or $100 on a tool that allows us to do this job more quickly. We get paid flat rate for the most part, so if that job pays an hour and a half at a specific dealer but somehow you strip out a spark plug and it's your fault then you are expected to fix it and you don't get paid. If you're not flat rate you have no incentive to go out and spend $20,000 on tools. The only reason to buy those more efficient tools is to be quicker. I have $600 in ratchets just to get into certain areas sometimes, sometimes I want a stubby ratchet, sometimes I want to flex ratchet, sometimes I need a fine-tooth one, but other times not. So the reason that we get paid flat rate is to give us incentive to work more quickly and to give us the ability to pay for more expensive tools.It's not really about how long it takes in the shop, and flat rate actually protects the customer because if we were hourly we could just work as slow as we wanted to, or if you have a poor technician that breaks a lot of bolts you'd be stuck paying for them to do that.You win some and you lose some yes this job generally pays a lot more than it takes, but I've also been on engine jobs that pay 15 hours and take 30 and I get paid 15 but the customers never come online and complain about that, because it's in their favor.The flat rate system gives technicians an incentive to purchase better tools and be more efficient, it protects the dealership from paying slow technicians too much money, it protects customers from being overcharged because the estimate in most states must be withing 10 percent or the final bill.You take the good with the bad, you pay more on maintenance, you pay less on repairs. The secret is shops want you to do maintenance because they do pay better but more than that it also saves you money in the long run because it's much more efficient to do your maintenance and then the vehicle will not break as often.You can't be expected to be charged last unless you also are okay with paying much more when issues arise due to inexperienced technicians, and believe me you don't want that.I will say that you can probably find an independent Japanese Auto Repair Shop that's going to be less expensive, but mostly that's because the parts are going to be less expensive even though they're OEM or original equipment manufacturer Parts meaning they're made by the same companies but sometimes they are a slightly lesser part which is really of no consequence with filters, fluids, and spark plugs.Much of the standard maintenance can actually be done by your average backyard mechanic honestly, and here's a little food for thought before I go in my opinion going to the dealership for your maintenance is actually a lower-quality of maintenance.Here's why. When magazine started publishing the true cost of ownership of vehicles in magazines 15 or 20 years ago it caused all of the manufacturers to start to try to have as many of the services be "lifetime". Now, Nissan, BMW, Audi, whoever they're actually more of assemblers than manufacturers they make very little of the actual vehicle other than the body and the engine. The transmission, the control modules, the interior, the brakes, Etc are all made by other companies.The big thing that this is harmed customers on is Transmissions because the manufacturers of the Transmissions be at Jatco or ZF, they state in their official manuals to change the fluid every 40 to 60 thousand miles.Nearly every automotive manufacturer claims that automatic transmission fluid is lifetime because they've defined lifetime of a vehicle as a hundred thousand miles due to the fact that 94% of people that buy a new vehicle will continue buying new vehicles every three to four years and of the people that buy used cars nearly that same percentage will never buy a new car in their entire life. They know that the transmission will last a hundred thousand miles regardless and they know that the customers that actually buy the vehicles from them will not keep the vehicle that long in the vast majority of cases and so rather than charging $400 every 40,000 miles to change the fluid they claim its lifetime and then the Transmissions fail at a hundred or a hundred and twenty thousand miles.If you go to an independent Japanese repair shop they're going to recommend that you do things like change the transmission fluid or flush the power steering fluid if it's not called for and your vehicle doesn't have electric power steering. In addition there's parts that we as technicians know are faulty and have problems from the factory and have never been superseded to an upgraded part and you can get upgraded parts that have that defect removed from other OEM companies that might not make that specific component for your vehicle but make original parts for some manufacturers.There are other things like failed anti-lock brake computers where the solder joints inside of the module are a known problem and if you go and buy another $600 one it's just going to fail again in a few years, and if you buy a used one it's also going to fail plus you have to code it to your vehicle, an independent shop knows they can send it off and have it rebuilt for about the price of what a used one cost and get a lifetime warranty and the defect is repaired for good.Find yourself a local Japanese Auto Specialist that has good reviews, it's going to save you money in the long run and you were going to get a better quality of service and this is especially important if you're planning to keep the vehicle over a hundred thousand miles.If I answer your question please remember to hit accept next to my name because otherwise this site doesn't pay me a dime for my assistance I'm here. If you need further assistance please let me know, you can return it ask questions about this even after accepting if you think of something later.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician