Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Bought a used 2013 Nissan rogue lasy march 2018 & was just…

Customer Question
Bought a used 2013...

Bought a used 2013 Nissan rogue lasy march 2018 & was just told today I need back brake pads & rotors & front brake pads soon btu the back pads & rotors now as car shaeks & vibrates

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the rotors? How many miles are on the car?

I have just had the car myself just 15months & feel I shuld not have to replace them being I bought it from ad ealer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your March yourself? What have you tried so far?

When I purchased vehicle last march 2018 at 44.47miles as of today im at 56899 oops 44047 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No also had a service message back in January that they insist was just a regular maintenance message for an over due oil change??

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Nissan
5/30/2018
Nissan Mechanic: eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 21 days ago
eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, the reason for replacing the rotors is due to the vibration you are feeling which is rotors with either excess runout or excess thickness variation. The pads are replaced at the same time as they are worn to the old rotors and if not replaced, you will have same issue.

The causes of rotors getting excess runout or thickness variation, better known as warped rotors, is varied -

mountainous driving

braking thru deep puddles

calipers sticking

driver doing lots of last second hard braking

driver resting left foot on brake pedal while driving

lots of stop and go traffic driving.

15 months of driving is ample time to cause the rotors to warp from any of the above causes

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
ok so the car was inspected 2/2017 and completely passed & sole to me on 3/4/2018 and you are stating I could have easily worn out my rotors and all pads within 15 months as it actually stated shaking back in September 2017 & the dealer up until today kept telling me car was fine no issues as they do a multi point inspection evetime oil change done 9/11/17 & again on 1/19/18 and never told any problems at all with my brakes & they passed them every visit until today even when I complained about car shaking (not when I braked bout it would shake & buck)

Yes, but you have to understand the context. It is not that the rotors and pads are worn out as in too thin. They may be well within specs as far as how much pad material is left

It is that the rotors have become warped where the runout or thickness variation is too much, which is what causes the vibration. the pads are replaced at same time as they have the existing rotors wear pattern.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
ok still not acceptable as to pass a vevhicle like that and then sell it to someone to fix it with in a years time and eveytime they inspect they mark it in the green in september & january and now all of a sudden inmay im in the red without no prior warning

I will opt out at this point as all I can do is explain how rotors warp and why. I cannot explain why something was either missed on inspection or misinspected when I was not present for the inspection. That is simply an impossibility to tell you

Nissan Mechanic: Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech replied 21 days ago
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech

hi my name is ***** ***** i will be helping you today

Nissan Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 21 days ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Can I ask you a question, when you purchased the vehicle, did the vehicle have a vibration when braking when you purchased it?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
no it idles high and bucks but not always when i bought i i took it back 4 times within the first month i was told its the cvt transmission it makes you think its shifting when it really isnt it was all about the transmission thye tol dme car was fine nothing wrong with it or how it ran as still to this day it still sticks in gear and doesn't want to move or drive at times like i am stuck in gear

CVT transmissions are horrible abominations of technology. Many manufacturers attempted them, all failed. You should trade this vehicle in like right now honestly, that transmission is going to fail.

As far as the brakes, if your brakes didn't pulsate when you got the vehicle, it means that you heated them up. NOW, possibly when somebody did the brakes they turned the rotors, they were thinner than stock, and they didn't tolerate the heat.

However, I can tell for a fact that you don't downshift the vehicle when you go down large hills, because if you did it wouldn't happen. Downshifting is not bad on the engine or transmission, and a heavy vehicle like this will greatly benefit from you downshifting. If you ride your brakes down hills, it can cause this.

I don't know where you live, but I'm in Seattle and my shop was at the bottom of a 1 mile long, 10 percent grade hill. I went through this with customers who went through brakes in less than a year and had to explain they were essentially riding their breaks 300 miles downhill per year due to their lack of downshifting, Put it in sport mode or manually downshift to prevent this from happening again. The vehicle is heavy, if you live in San Francisco, or Seattle, or Colorado or something where you have a lot of mountains, and you don't downshift, this will continue to happen. This is a driving style thing, there's no way it could have been predicted, and the fact that it didn't do it before means that they were heated up AFTER you bought it, that's how metal warpage works. I've actually bought vehicles that do this badly, and after I buy it and start downshifting and braking lightly, I've actually almost fully smoothed them out again to where it wasn't bad anymore.

I literally use my brakes the last 10 feet coming up to a stop sign, the rest of the time I leave it in sport so it downshifts and uses the engine rpm to brake. Doing this prevents brakes from wearing to the point where even though I've owned more than 50 cars I've only done brakes on my cars less than 5 times, I simply barely use them.