Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Can I use jumper cables connected to another car's battery…

Customer Question
Can I use jumper...

Can I use jumper cables connected to another car's battery instead of a battery tender?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Have not tested battery. Was advised by dealer that battery needs replacement after 4 years.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing myself. Purchased new battery at Sam's club.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Have changed other batteries in the past without using Battery Tender.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Nissan Mechanic: tracker40, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
tracker40
tracker40, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I am Randall. Can you reword the question? I am not sure I am following your question and I still need the model and engine size, Thanks

Want to change battery in 2012Nissan and not sure if I have to use a battery Tender. If I do, can I use the battery in my other car via jumper cables?

I am thinking you mean keeping power to the vehicle as you change batteries to avoid lost radio stations, and possible not having to do an idle relearn so the answer is 100% yes. Done all the time. Do NOT need the other vehicle running, just need to keep 12 volts to yours as you change the battery so you do not have to do possible relearns etc, Hard to explain, Yes, you can use another vehicle on jumpers, a battery tender, jump pack, or trickle charger. The only thing is to not have the other vehicle running which puts out higher amps volts. You only need 12 volts to do what you are wanting to do and all will be 100% fine. Battery tender NOT required, you can certainly change battery without or even jumped to another vehicle. I am saying if you do jump to another vehicle? I usually helps the computer to keep the relearn on idel, radio stations and so on so recommended but not required

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , .
Keep in mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.
Follow Up Questions are included in The price of your question ,So feel Free To Ask Me
You can Always come back to this conversation and ask me any Follow up Question you may? have
Many Thanks! Randall C