Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Needs a solution to my 2005 Nissan Xterra problems. Can I…

Customer Question
Needs a solution to...

Needs a solution to my 2005 Nissan Xterra problems

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Can I describe the problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I will prefer a mechanic with electrical experience as well

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Nissan
5/28/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 21 days ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

What is your issue?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
My 2005 Nissan Xterra gives problem when Headlamp and A/C are switched on together within 2hrs the Traficator light as well as the wipper will stop working and the A/C will be blowing hot.

ok headlamp and ac being on causes the wiper and signal lights to not work?

along with ac not blowing cold anymore

Based on your description I only see one object that shares the similarity of the circuit your experiencing. ITs called the Intelligent Power Distribution Module (IDPM). I think thats where the problem may lie. I want you to perform the Auto Active Test Mode. Sometimes performing it will clear the symptoms away completely. If it does not work, you will likely need to replace the IDPM completely.

To perform auto active test mode of the IPDM, close the hood and all the doors except the driver's door. Turn the ignition switch OFF. Turn the ignition switch ON and within 20 seconds, press the driver's door switch at the bottom of the B-pillar (that controls the dome light) in and out 10 times. Turn the ignition switch OFF. Turn the ignition switch back ON within 10 seconds of turning it OFF. When the auto active test mode activates, the horn will chirp once. Then the rear window defogger, the front wipers, the lights, the A/C compressor clutch and the cooling fans should cycle ON and OFF. Turn the key OFF to get the IPDM out of auto active test mode.

Please take a moment to leave a rating so I can receive credit for the answer, we can still continue even after rating. Let me know what I can do to achieve a 5 star rating for that is my goal. Thank you again for your rating.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
thanks. I will do that and get back

Sounds good, hope it fixes it completely

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
What do you think could have caused the problem?

Internal software glitch, just like any computer that whacks out. Kind of like your phone, does something odd, then a reset fixes it.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
but when the car is switched off, everything works well until another 11/2 -2 hrs. The problem would starts
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
sorry i did not mention this, we actually replace the IPDM unit suspecting it is faulty but the problem keeps occuring and that was why i decided to contact Expert through Just Answer

IDPM computer is only thing I see that can cause this issue, if the headlights or ac drawing to many amps or shorting out, a fuse would go before an electrical multifunction issue as you are experiencing. The IDPM receives all the power signals to the things being affected and is not transporting the circuit to the correct location. causing what your experiencing. Shutting the vehicle off may make a temporary reset on the IDPM. Doing the active test mode is like a calibration for it and it must be performed along with it being programmed to your vehicle so it can function properly if it has been replaced.

It would be the only thing I can thing of as to being the issue. Since you have already replaced it and reprogrammed and did the active mode test, it will leave me no other choice but to opt out and let another expert assist you further. Let me know if you would like a new expert

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
to be honest with you. I only replaced it but did not do the active test mode test as being suggested now.

Ok, the decision is to completely up to you if you would like a new expert. I would be out of options after this.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Am I to make new payment for a new expert?

Nope, it just means I receive no credit and the amount remains for the next available expert willing to take a look and respond to your question

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
It is a must whenever the IPDM unit is changed that the test must be conducted?

It should definitely be done so it can perform a calibration to your vehicle. Have you attempted it yet? Does not take long to do.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok. I will do that and get back

ok

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
unfortunately the guy with the car key is not around and might have to do the test tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow is fine, just update me as to what you would like to do next :).

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thanks.

No problem

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Hi Mic
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
The guy just came in and I have done the test
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
But the problem still persisted.
Nissan Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 20 days ago
Ok I’ll open this back up and let another expert further assist you
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
ok thanks
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 20 days ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Volt Meter?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Hi Jay

Hello, So I understand your issue, the issue is when the head lights and AC are both turned on? Correct?

Ok.. So with your volt meter. Lets put it on the battery and take a voltage reading with the engine running and lights off and Ac off.

then turn the head lights on, AC on and rear Defroster and tell me what voltage readings you are getting and let me know..

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
ok. I will and Let you know. Thanks

ok.. I will be online later these evening after work say around 7 pm EST and be online till 10 or 11 pm EST.

Talk to you then

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Voltage reading with the engine running and lights off and Ac off : 13.95V
Voltage reading with head lights on, AC on and rear Defroster on: 13.88V first and latter 14.00V
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 19 days ago

Voltage are with in spec, how ever.. This is what I would like you to do. I have a feeling this is a Alternator issue and when system voltage drops, the computer will turn things off re-direct power to keep the truck running. So this is what I would like you to do to capture this issue, cause the Alternator I feel is intermittently not charging. Keep the volt meter in the truck, and that quick easy test, when it starts to act up again, throw the volt meter on the battery and see what your readings are.

Do you think you can do that?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I will do that and equally check the voltage when the problem occurs.

Yeah.. You want to see no load voltage to be around 14.3 volts. No loads meaning, no AC, No Lights, or defroster. Then with loads AC ON, Rear Defroster On, and AC on, you should see voltage drop to around 13.9 to 14 volts

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I mean the problem of when Headlamp and A/C are switched on together within 2hrs the Traficator light as well as the wipper will stop working and the A/C will be blowing hot.

Yeah... Seen this before. It's normally a Alternator issue. Both of those are loads on the Alternator. So charging system voltage will start to drop as you drive. I am going to assume it drops down to almost battery voltage. Once voltage gets to low, the Computer will turn off the Wipers and AC to try to re-direct power to keep the car running. Radio is another thing it could turn off as well.

That is why I want you to quickly check it with your volt meter when it happens.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Ok thanks for the advice. I will do that and get back.

You got it.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Just checked now. After 2hrs the problem started and i read the voltage to be 13.66V

Yup.. Alternator.. Should not drop below 13.8 volts!

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
the alternator has to be changed

Yes.. I strongly suggest you get the Alternator from the dealer though. After Market Alternators never work right and if you do get one that works, they only tend to last a year or less. So I would get it from the dealer, so when you do the job, you do it once!

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Ok . I will do that and get back

You got it.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
can i get a complete wiring diagram /schematics for the car?
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 18 days ago

For the charging system I can share that with you. But wiring diagrams are broken down to each system. So if you want the Alternator wiring diagram I can share it with you.

But I won't be able to do that till later on this evening if you can wait till then?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
for charging system. I hope the s
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
for charging system as well as the loads connected to the alternator. Thanks in advance.

There you go. That is the Factory Wiring Diagram out of the Factory Service Manual.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Thanks

Your welcome!

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Hi Jay, we have changed the alternator during which we equally discovered that the belt is slack and got it changed. The car has engine has been running for 2hrs now with everything working. i want to run it for 3hrs and then get back to you.

interesting... Cool.. Let me know how you make out..

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Just few minutes ago i checked back. The problem was noticed again while the voltage never rose more than 13.65V and rpm remains Zero.

yeah.. Something is funky with that Alternator. I would return it and get one from the dealer.

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician