Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Can't find crankshaft position sensor 89 pathfinder, Won't…

Customer Question
Can't find crankshaft position...

Can't find crankshaft position sensor 89 pathfinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

Won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am doing it myself. Installed a new distributor. Ecu gives code 11 which is crank angle sensor. I bought the part, can't find where to install it. When I turn over the vehicle, the rotor in the new distributor doesn't turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Nissan
The crankshaft position sensor purchases is circular in form with 3 mounting holes
Was driving after New cat and 02 sensor installed. Did going 40 mph won't turn over. No spark from distributor, rotor doesn't turn
Died*
5/28/2018
Nissan Mechanic: KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 2 months ago
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

The crank position sensor is mounted to the drivers side top of the transmission bell housing.

If the rotor button is not turning, then you need to check the timing belt, the crank sensor will not be your problem.

I have a code on the ecum code number 11

If the timing belt breaks, the cam and crank sensor will not be in time, and this code will set. Check your timing belt and see if it is broken?

All belts seem fine
Are you talking about the timing chain?

Your engine has a timing belt not chain.

Okay, I apologize I'm learning. I've never had a carbureted engine let alone a Nissan.

Pull the upper timing cover of and see if the belt is broken. If it is not, turn the engine over and see if the belt moves. If the belt does not move, then the teeth of the belt have stripped off.

Just wanted to check in on you and see if you had a chance to check the timing belt yet?

Timing belt is broken

That was what I thought. Are you going to replace it yourself?

I don't know where to even start I'm worried about bent valves. Are there any guides in the internet ?

I can walk you through this job if you would like. This is an interference engine but I have never had a problem replacing the timing belt and it running again with out pulling the heads.

Sure that would be great

The first thing you will need to do is get a new water pump and timing belt kit. The water pump may not be bad now, but with all the work you have to do to replace the timing belt, it is best to go ahead and replace it now while you have it torn down.

I can't seem to find the aligning marks behind the harmonic balancer. Can I use the back of the timing belt cover where there is a notch at the bottom for a timing setting point?
Also, the spring came out of my timing belt tensioner.. how do I reset it?

There is a timing mark on the crank gear to set the timing by, and yu should replace the tensioner, as the bearing may be bad and that is what caused the belt to break in the first place. I will post the timing marks for you so yu can see where they are.

I've got a new tensioner oulley new water pump and new belt. I think I have the timing set correctly as far as dead center goes. I'm just trying to get the water pump off now

You should have done the water pump before installing the timing belt.

I did. I have water pump on. Timing belt is on. Now, how do I set the tension for this vehicle? I have a new tensioner pulley and everything. I just don't know how to set it. Everything is lined up

Look at the face of the tensioner. There is a slotted hole where the hold down nut goes and a small hex head hole. Use a allen wrench and turn the tensioner till you have the correct pressure on the belt, then tighten the center nut to hold it there..

What is the correct pressure how do I know?

You should be able to twist the belt timing belt 1/4 turn at the longest space between the two gears on the drivers side. If the belt can not be twisted with out force then it is to tight, and if it will twist more the 1/4 turn then it is to loose.

Okay so I just tried to turn over my engine and it started but it sounded very bad in the belt seems to be slipping off does that mean is too loose
The belt is too loose

Double check your timing marks and see if it has jumped time.

The marks line up. However the belt marks don't
The dots on the camshaft sprockets and the lower one all lines up however the belt seems to have moved. Sorry this is a learning f experience for me

The belt marks will not line back for some time so that is no problem. How long did you let it run for?

Here is a diagram of how to tighten the timing belt tensioner with an allen wrench. Make sure the timing belt is not to loose, and adjust it as needed.

I let it run for 30 seconds but it will not idle it will die if no gas and it sounds terrible

It will run funny for a little bit. Make sure the timing belt is not to loose, and start it back up again and let it warm up and see if it does not smooth back out and idle correctly. You have to remember the cylinders will have to much fuel in them and the plugs may be fauled out. Letting it run should get it to clear up.

Will do

ok

Where could I find a diagram to put all these belts back on at?
I want to make sure I do it right

Let me see if I have one for you.

Just wanted to check in on you and see how things where going?