Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada was running fine. I parked…

Customer Question
My 2004 Nissan Pathfinder...

My 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada was running fine. I parked it and when I attempted to open the back liftgate it wouldnt open by lifting the handle. I then tried opening it using the key fob, but it wouldn't work. The key fob only seemed to lock and unlock the doors but none of the other features seemed to work. So I went to start my vehicle thinking I could somehow open the liftgate. When I turned the key to start it, everything would power on but the vehicle would not start. No crank, no start, no clicking. Checked the battery, relays and and fuses eveything was good. Replaced battery and housing on key fob and it seemed to be work b

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

But when I tried to start up my vehicle it still wouldnt start. No crank no start no clicking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder Armada yourself? What have you tried so far?

No the battery is brand new.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My alarm system doesnt engage or disengage either. The key fob still only unlocks the doors only, not the liftgate.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Nissan
5/26/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 2 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there, thanks for the question.Can you see if the headlights will come on for me?
they turn on when i turn the key..
The headlights? They should turn on with the engine off and ignition off actually?
Unless they are on Auto, then of course you have to turn the ignition.
Did you replace the FOB battery or the car battery? Or both?
both
Both replacef
Great, so right now if you turn the key to ON position and leave it there for 15 seconds what lights STAY on?
does the front radiator fan run when you do that?
The condensor fan goes on, not the radiator fan that only goes on with the engine on. And when I put the key just n the ignition and leave it in the on position for 15 sec. The lights that stay on are a few lights on the instrument panal, and the head lights. And the navigation display on the vehicles gps system also goes on.
Would you like me to list individually which lights are staying lit up on the instrument panal?
One more thing, the battery seems to be losing charge. Nothing was left on and the battery is brand new. So I'm not sure why its losing charge. This is only the 3rd day its been parked.
Thanks, ***** ***** condenser fan turns on, with the key in the ON position that is a concern. That is an indication of a major control unit failure.
What exactly does that mean?
It means that you need a CAN test to see which control unit is not communicating
is this possibly what is causing my battery to drain as well?
It’s possible, a faulty control unit will cause the condenser fan to run which is a pretty big drain on the battery. Can cause other amperage draws as well

If you need anything else let me know please.

If not please be sure you leave a kind rating.

thanks