Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2014 versa that keeps reading that I have a vacuum…

Customer Question
I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 versa that keeps reading that I have a vacuum leak from the gas cap. I installed a new cap and the code is still reading the same. When I try to accelerate the rpms shoot up and the car shutters back and forth and then sometimes it will go. But if it doesn't go then I shut the engine off and restart the vehicle and then it will go.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It has turned into a gas hog and I have no problems starting it...yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Versa yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. I have only started with the gas cap because it broke down before I could get home

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is all

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Nissan
5/25/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 25 days ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

Hey there, do you remember exactly what code you had? an evap leak would generally not cause the engine to shutter or RPMS to shoot up.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
There was no code that the mechanic told me. He said that is was just reading about the gas cap.

Well, the mechanics not making sense then, then is no gas cap code or warnings. There are "evap small leak" codes that may point to an issue with the gas cap.

The RPM's shooting up could certainly be from a vacuum leak though, just not one from the gas cap.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
But the problem is once it shutters and the rpms fluctuate then the car won't move at all unitl I turn it off and let it sit on turn it back on

Turning the vehicle on and back off giving you temporary performance just confirms its likely electrical, but without any fault codes i wouldn't want to replace a throttle that's hundreds or dollars without ruling out other possible causes.

You don't know anyone who will let you borrow a scan tool?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
This morning O'Riley's put it on their scan code and it didn't read anything bit the problem is still occuring

I need you to do me a favor please, can you access the car now?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Iam sitting in it waiting to get towed home

pop the hood please.

I need you to inspect the airbox (the large black plastic box that has the air filter in it)

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok I did

There are tabs that on the top half that slide into holes on the bottom half and it's common for people to miss them

if that happens, then it creates an air leak and the engine will surge and the RPMS shoot up like you mentioned.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I just took out the air filter and installed the cover but it was installed correctly

then check the tubing and resonator that runs to the throttle

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
After feeling around it seems like evap hose that runs from the bleeder to a filter behind the air filter housing might have a hole in it
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Would that cause the shuttering and the rpms to shoot up?

the air leak you found allows unmetered air past the MAF

the unmetered air causes the RPMS to surge and spike.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I taped it up temporarily to see his I can at least move my car but I am hoping that all I need to do is replace that line

tr it out and let me know.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Nope it didn't work still doing the same thing

Can you check the lines on the intake manifold to make sure not came off or ripped?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It all looks good

If you turn the key to ON and just leave it there, does the front condensor fan come on at the radiator?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No, I don't hear anything

Well that's a good sign. just amking sure there were no control module issues since you have no codes with those symptoms.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I'm going to try and replace a few when I get the car home. Like the egr and pcv valves and maybe clean out the air module sensor
Your engine does not have an EGR valve
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Okay great, that is one less thing
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Is it possible that it could be the crankshaft sensor
It’s possible since the RPMs signal comes from the crank sensor but your symptoms are a bit different then your average crank sensor failure