Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cleaned throttle body on 2008 Altima SE (3.5L), idle now…

Cleaned throttle body on 2008...
Cleaned throttle body on 2008 Altima SE (3.5L), idle now surges between 1500-2200 rpm. My understanding is IAVL relearn cannot be performed unless idle is under 1000. Disconnected 3 fuel injectors but idle is still 1200. How can I reduce idle rpm to perform relearning procedure?
4/6/2018
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech

hi my name is ***** ***** i will be helping you today

did you push the throttle valve open with your hands > ?

ok fyi next time turn the key on then put the parking brakes on put car in drive then use something to hold the gas pedal down

Is that turn the key to the "On" position or turn the engine on?

d​isconnect the throttle and mas air flow with the engine running engine may die . turn the key off wait 10 seconds key on. then reset all codes . key off 10 seconds . key on do not start put car in drive push gas pedal all the way down 3 times . key off 10 second on 3 second repeat 3 times star car preform idle relearn with scan tool

the key need to be on gear in drive gad pedal down this will open the throttle so you can clean iy

I understand your instructions for preparing the car for the relearning process but I don't have access to a scan tool. How can I perform the relearn using the manual method?

the relearn cannot be done with the manual process if the idle is over 900 or below 500 rpm so you will need a scan tool

What idle speed can I expect when I start the car following your instructions (...key off 10 second on 3 second repeat 3 times start car...)?

about 1000

this is just to get it stable

do you have any more questions

Any chance this might get the idle under 900?
Will the engine start and run with the mass flow and throttle disconnected?

no this is the reason i told you to clear the code connect the sensors then start the engine your idle will most likely be above 900 just try it and see

OK, just to be clear, at what point in your instruction do I reconnect the throttle and mass flow?

after you start the engine

start the engine disconnect the sensor the engine will die clear the codes then do the key on key off

I understand when to DISCONNECT the sensors. At what point in the procedure, do I RECONNECT the sensors.

your just disconnecting at then the engine will die then the reconnect the sensors

OK, now it's clear.
I don't have any other questions regarding the procedure.
Can I contact you directly through Just Answer if I require more help with this problem?

yes you can this chat will stay open even after you rate for a few days and please rate the service before you go as this is the only way for me to get credit thanks.

Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
I tried the recommended procedure but the engine will not stop surging when I restart it just prior to the learning process.
At the beginning of the procedure, the engine speed stabilizes (at 1800 rpm) as soon as I disconnect the throttle. The engine doesn't stall and the rpms stay constant when I reconnect the throttle.

did you get a scan tool

limited but it will perform the idle air volume learn procedure.

did you spray anything into the throttle body

throttle body cleaner
Although most of the cleaning was done with a paper towel held at the end of a screw holding screwdriver.
Is it possible that I'm just off on the timing during the portions of the procedure that require something to be done for X number of seconds?

you may have damage the throttle you should not have spared anything in there it can get into the electrical circuit you should have wet a rag and wipe the throttle clean

Isn't the only way sprayed cleaner can get into the electronics is through the valve shaft? Of the cleaner that I sprayed instead of wiping on, most of it was sprayed either on the top or bottom of the throttle body opening.

not saying it is damage just saying you could have damage it by doing that they tell you never to spray anything in the throttle . try to do the idle relearn with the car in drive

I did try that once. When I start the car at the end of the procedure and put it in drive, the idle surges between(###) ###-####rpm. The relearn procedure failed. If I remember correctly, the trans is supposed to be in P in order to perform the relearn.

y​es it should be in park but i have done it in drive try disconnecting the battery both cables then hold them touching for one minute then retry the relearn

1. Do I need to be more precise in timing the procedure steps? Is it critical to do a step at exactly 3 or 10 seconds?
2. The scan tool I have has Clear Self Learn function? Is that what the cable grounding does?

no as long as it is more then 3 and 10

no never seen the with the Nissan tool

If the relearn procedure with the existing throttle body is not successful, I ordered a replacement that I should have tomorrow. Is there a specific procedure for installing it?

no just install and de the relearn

Last questions:
Is it surprising that the engine runs at 1800 rpm when I disconnect the throttle?
Key on 10 seconds, off 3 seconds is the only portion of the procedure that is repeated 3 times. Correct?
Sorry, I meant Key off 10, on 3 repeated 3 times.

yes correct

How about the engine high idle when I disconnect the throttle? Seems you expect it to run so slow that it will die. Does this indicate some other problem?

you can test the throttle if your scan tool can by using the tool to rist and lower the idle in work support to see if the throttle take a command

normal condition the ecm will rise the idle when it have no input

OK, thanks. That's all I have.

your welcome

I have tried all your suggestions but cannot get idle under 1100 rpm so relearn procedure continually fails. In your opinion, would my best bet be to have a Nissan service center perform the relearn on the existing throttle body or for me to replace the throttle body and retry the relearn process? Also, I removed the existing throttle body and opened the throttle cover. The gears are in excellent condition, all electrical contacts are perfectly clean, and there is absolutely no indication that any liquid has entered this area.

you should take it to Nissan to have the idle relearn do not replace the throttles at this time

Thank you

your welcome