Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It is a 2000 Nissan Altima 2.4l they changed the power

Customer Question
It is a...

It is a 2000 Nissan Altima 2.4l they changed the power steering pump and the cat the car starts and runs but there is no power to the dash or any of the controls inside the car headlights work I am going by what my friend says

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It worked before they installed the new parts it is consistant

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is not my car I think they may have shorted out something it was starting to get dark so I didn't really have a chance to check it out very well

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I tried to check the fuses but most of them under the dash have no power

Submitted: 15 days ago.Category: Nissan
4/4/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 15 days ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Normally if you have no signs of electrical power through out the car, but the head lights work, that is a sign of a blown main fusible link. Have you checked that by any chance?

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
like i said it was starting to get dark but if the fusible link goes the car usually wont start am i right this car starts and runs

The car starts and runs?

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
that's the strange thing the lights worked before now the don't and yes it starts and runs it got me baffeled

That is strange.. Do you have a Test light to check fuses?

If we check all fuses with a test light, we maybe able to isolate why you are not getting power..

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
i checked most of them and most of them that normally have power do not have power the stereo works but no dash or climate controls work

What about fuses under the hood?

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
he did say that he grounded the alt by accident when he was putting the belt back on i told him he should have disconnected the battery before he did it but he said he was in a hurry and i guess that is what happens when you take a shortcut
Customer reply replied 15 days ago
i think i am going to pull all the fuses and check them one by one till i find the trouble maker

The best way is with a test light.. With a test light not only are you checking fuses, but you are seeing if they are getting power. Do you know how to test fuses with a test light?

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
i do
Customer reply replied 15 days ago
i will give it another try when it gets light then so i can see better what i am doing

Ok.. let me know what you find..

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
i am thinking it is one of the fuses or relay he said it arched when the alt touched the block

That is most commonly a fusible link when more than one thing is not working. So check the bigger fusible links. Not the main since it runs.

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician