Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We were chatting a few minutes ago about my P0420 code, but…

Hi there. We...

Hi there. We were chatting a few minutes ago about my P0420 code, but I lost my connection when connecting to the mechanic.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2003 Nissan Murano SE, 2WD, Standard V6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

Car was running rough with check engine light flashing. Had it towed to shop. Cylinder 5 misfire. Shop replaced 6 spark plugs, coil packs, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, flushed fuel system. Vehicle ran well, with no SES light, for about a week. Over the weekend, took a trip out of town. Still running well, but SES light came on. Auto parts store read the code P0420. Taking it back to shop tomorrow.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Light stays on. Vehicle runs well, but noisier under the hood than when I first got it back.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that will do it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/4/2018
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok thanks

if the code came back, it is a failed cat. the 420 is an indication of the precious metals are worn out in the converter. they can confirm by the readings from the upstream and downstream O2 sensor readings.

you need a cat converter

Roy

I'm not likely to want to invest that much in a cc -- even wholesale, they are not less than $500. I know O2 sensors are cheaper. Wonder if there might be leaks in the intake or the exhaust?

you can have them check that. it should have been part of there original diagnostic.

not the O2 sensors. do not waste your money on them.

let me check on the converter.

Roy

I figure if the converter had been bad, they would not have been able to clear the code at the conclusion of their previous repairs. When I got the vehicle back it was running well, no SES light, for most of the week. Less under the hood noise than Saturday, when the light came back on and stayed on. It's not misfiring and has plenty of power.

rock auto for the converter

you need bank 1 converter. 420 is bank 1 and 430 is bank 2

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,2003,murano,3.5l+v6,1431953,exhaust+&+emission,catalytic+converter,5808

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician

thank you