Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Was driving the other night then made a right turn not

Was driving the other...

Was driving the other night then made a right turn not speeding. Then when stopped I put the car in reverse then stepped on the gas then I felt something like pop loose now my case won't move in any gears. Please help i have a 2009 nissan altima

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

As old as the car and what brake switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked the fluids. and i will be fixing myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all.

4/3/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

First, inspect the axles to see if any are broken or hanging out of the transmission at all.The cv joints in the axles can break/fail to cause this issue here with the axles needing to be repaired or replaced.If this is o.k. and if the axles feel like they are locked in place at the transmission and wheel hub assemblies you may have broken a gear in the transmission itself.There are output shaft gears that attach to the axles and if one of them breaks this issue here will occur.Usually, it will be one of these that causes this issue from what I have seen and an axle breaking is the most common.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
it will rev up but it wont move in any gear. your saying this could be a broken axel.

Yes, it can.If it revs up and rolls like in neutral while in gear or in drive this can be an axle that is broken needs to be replaced.I have seen broken axles in the past before cause this fault here.The axles need to be inspected to see if any issues are found with them.

Thanks Pete