Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Doing a speed of anywhere from 50 to 65 mph and taking the…

Doing a speed of...

Doing a speed of anywhere from 50 to 65 mph and taking the foot of the accelerator for a couple of seconds then reaccelerating causes engine to significantly sputter. Does not happen during normal acceleration from stop.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

2007 Nissan Frontier

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

I originally had a #1 ignition misfire indication.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Replaced plugs, coils and cleaned injectors.

4/3/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What brand spark plugs did you install? Also does it make a feeling like a rumble strips on the side of the highway?

Let me give you the complete history.
First off it is a 2007 Nissan Frontier V6.
First trouble code was a fuel level sensor circuit high input P0463 and the gauge only indicates properly from about 7/8th's to a 1/4 then fails to indicate empty, constantly gives a failure on OBDI.
I am aware it is a common failure that also occurred on my 2005 Nissan Xterra which luckily fell under warranty.
I have been living with it for about a year. Have a replacement fuel pump BS 69907 (Bosch) that I have not had the chance to replace yet.
A second issue showed up a couple months later where there was serious vibration in the engine on start up which would clear after a minute but got worse over time.
It got bad to the point that it would seriously vibrate the entire vehicle violently at around 50mph and had to quit driving it.
ODBI code was misfire cylinder 1.
Replaced all coils and plugs with Bosch 4316 Plugs and Ultrapower 5C1403 Coils also took out all the injectors and cleaned them.
Worked great for about 2 months until this issue showed up of switching from deceleration starting around 60-65 (no brake, just let off gas) to acceleration after speed dropped to 50 which leads into a similar vibration and lack of response for about 2 to 3 seconds and then clears. Can reproduce quite easily. Does not happen on initial acceleration from stop.
Current error code is the fuel sensor and nothing about the misfire.
Hoping it is a fuel issue, but have read about transmission issues. There have been no ODBI indications other than listed.
Yes it does feel like rumble strips, but there is a definite lack of power for those 2 to 3 seconds.Thanks

The fuel level sensor issue will require the fuel sender to be replaced. Watch when it comes to after market electrical parts, they never work right. So you may not want to use that Bosch one! These cars hate Bosch, especially the spark plugs!!! These engines were designed to use NGK spark plugs. These engine and almost all Nissan engines do not like Bosch Plugs!! They are known to cause misfire issues! They don't act up right away some times, until they start to break in. So that is the first place I would start!

But the rumble strip issue could be the start of the Transmission cross contamination starting.. So you are going to want to jump on checking that ASAP!! so it doesn't cost you 7k dollars for a Radiator & Transmission

Most cases if you don't tow, go with a External Trans cooler. This way you can't have cross contamination happen.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

I do not tow except for once in ages and not much weight at all, just small motorcycle trailers.
Could you explain the cross contamination you mentioned on the transmission as I would like to have this looked into and not sure what that means and what is involved to repair. I am only a youtube savvy mechanic.
I will take your advice and replace the plugs again and return the pump.Thanks

So the Radiator on your truck has a transmission cooler built into it. So the coolant helps maintain transmission fluid temperature. Well the transmission cooler starts to deteriorate and then coolant starts to seep into the trans cooler so coolant starts to circulate in the transmission which compromises all the friction material of the transmission which the only way to correct it is to replace or rebuild the transmission. At the same time, the Valve body has the TCM ( Transmission Control Module) built into it. So when the coolant hits that, it can take that out as well. So this is why you want to pay close attention to this. Cause the Radiator would need to be replaced and the transmission replaced or rebuilt.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
No. Think we are covered.