Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Jay. I have a 2003 ultima and my alarm is going off

Hi Jay. I have...

Hi Jay. I have a 2003 ultima and my alarm is going off constantly. I pulled the fuse and it didn't work, disengaged the car battery, put in a new one and same issue. What's happening?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Nissan?

Ultima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

The fuse and changing t he car battery and the key

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I want to be able to drive my car and can't :( could it be the chip in the key causing the issue?

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When the alarm is going off, which lights are flashing? The Head Lights ... or .. The Parking Lights?

I believe they are my head lights

That is the factory alarm. Take the mechanical key and insert it in the drivers door and lock and unlock the door. That should turn off the alarm.

The factory alarm can not be disabled since it's integrated into the car. If the alarm keeps going off, doors, trunk and hood adjustments and switches need to be checked. So for example. If the hood switch is bad, that can cause the alarm to keep going off. Simply unplugging that switch would keep that switch from setting off the alarm.

Another thing I do is lock the car and the security light should turn solid for 10 to 20 seconds then start to blink. Before locking the car I open all windows, then lock the doors. When it starts to blink I will grab each door and shake it to see if a particular door will set off the alarm.

I can't call, I am at work.

If I can grab a particular door or shake the hood and set off the alarm, that door or hood adjustment needs to be checked as well as the door or hood switches.

Since you can not check now, that is certainly something you can do later on to see what may be causing the alarm to go off.

Ok, so I had disconnected my battery to replace with a new battery, however once i hook up the new battery, the car alarm will not stop going off. Is there anything I can do for that at this time?

Well once you get home and re-connect the battery, Try the steps I provided to see if you can isolate a particular door that may be setting off the alarm. If you want to return back to this question later after work when you try, you can do that as well and I can continue to work with you then..

thank you, ***** ***** get back to you later

You got it. To return back, just log back into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions to return back

Hi Jay, thank you for your patience. I have connected my new battery but the only thing that is silencing the alarm is me locking the car manually either from inside my vehicle or by locking the doors (by turning the key twice) from the outside of the vehicle. When I go to turn on the car, the alarm starts up again. How should I proceed?

Can we continue in about a hour or so when I get home from work?

Sure

Cool. I will reach out to you when I get home..

Ok thank you!

I am back home and now online. Let me know when you are available.

Hi Jay, are you available ?

I am at work.. So my responses maybe delayed.. Yes...

Did you try what I suggested? Lower all windows and lock the car and watch the security light turn solid for about 10 to 20 seconds then start to blink. Once it starts to blink, then grab and shake doors to see if one door sets it off?

I tried that but was not successful and I believe it actually isn’t the factory alarm, but the other alarm in the car that is going off. They are bells and whistles, opposed to the horn.

Oh.. Yeah.. That is very possible. So how handy are you? We would need to see if we can locate a after market alarm control unit and unplug it.

I am certainly willing to try to locate it to unplug it! Where should I look to find it?

It is normally located under the drivers side dash area.. Let me get you image of what it looks like and what connector you want to unplug.

I have sent a picture so you may see what I’m working with

That is all factory stuff I see in that picture.

Ok so I guess it truly is the factory alarm

You should hear just the horn when it goes off..

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay, thank you so much for your time and patience. It turns out it was not the factory alarm as you mentioned. Since our last interaction this morning, I have had the alarm fixed. Thank you so much!!!

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com