Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Re: 2012 Nissan Altima, I decided to test my metal key in…

Re: 2012 Nissan Altima...

Re: 2012 Nissan Altima, I decided to test my metal key in the slot in the lower dashboard on the left side of the steering wheel. The key kept popping out so I pushed it in further at which time it totally went in and twisted. I tried pulling it out with needle nose pliers, but it won't budge. The car will still start with the remote, but shows instructions to remove the key when I turn off the ignition. Instructions disappear when door is closed. Is the car safe to drive? Must the key housing be removed to recover the key, or must it be replaced?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

In Park. Does the stuck key affect the steering lock?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just tried to remove the key with pliers.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

4/2/2018
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech

hi my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today

the metal key do not go into the slot the remote is what you should have put in there . the key is stick because the door for the slot is spring leaded so you will need to use a small tool to insert into the slot and push the door back then pull the key out

Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
I guess that I should have read my manual again instead of assuming that I remembered it. I have not had to do so since I bought the car. I think that I should take the Altima to the dealer. The key symbol on the dashboard confused me. Things are not as simple as they were in my 1957 Mercury. Thanks!
Thanks again for your help. I applied your remedy, and it worked! That's all I needed. If it had not worked, I would have gone to a dealership. You saved me time, and probably more expense. If you are a tech in a dealership near me, I would be glad to consult with you in person if I ever have any other issues.

happy to help . i am a tech that work in the dealer in central nj

That would be a bit of distance for me since I live in the Cleveland OH area.
Just out of curiosity, how many other times have you answered such a question? Backyard mechanics is something I no longer have any hope of doing. My son is a Toyota technician, and told me to take the car to the dealer.
Have a productive career!

i am on here almost every day so you see a lot of questions like this and believe me your not the first to do that plus when you work on the same brands of cars every day for 15 year i learn a lot about the car and the problems they have