Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car died and then you getting a jump the check engine…

Customer Question
My car died and...

My car died and then you getting a jump the check engine light came on, the VDC off light came on, and the SLIP light came on. My brother in law passed a diagnostic machine and got the code p0340.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It's staying on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada SE 5.6 v8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder Armada yourself? What have you tried so far?

It just happened literally 30 minutes ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Before this happened there Oil pressure sensor was going on and off about 2-3 times a day. I replaced the sensor it seemed to work for a while and then it started blinking of and on again.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Nissan
4/2/2018
Nissan Mechanic: 6Bucs, ASE Certified Technician replied 21 days ago
6Bucs
6Bucs, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is James.
The P0340 code indicates a faulty camshaft position sensor, which is common for your Armada, however the oil pressure light concerns me. Has the oil been changed regularly? Have you checked the oil level and condition yet?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
We got the oil changed this morning
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
We just bought the vehicle two weeks ago from the previous owner.
Make sure the oil level is correct. Low oil can cause these problems. Has the oil pressure light been a problem since the oil change?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
No, it came on the day before we got the oil changed. its weird though, the oil pressure light never stayed on. It just flickered when I was at a stop sign and again when I stopped at a light. It would only stay on for about 3-4 seconds. And it did the same thing again before we got the oil changed. After we got it changed we thought it would stop but it didn't. We took it back to jiffy lube to ask the guys who changed the oil if they knew what was wrong with it, they checked everything again, they checked the oil again and said everything was fine. They tried putting in a larger oil filter and told us that it might be our oil pressure sensor. We left, went and bought a knew oil pressure sensor, put the new one on and we thought it worked, however, once we got back from a really long drive the light flickered again at a stop light. The car was shaking a little bit as well. We decided it was late and that we'd have to look into it again in the morning. We went into Walmart, came out about 45 minutes later and the car was dead and we had to get it jumped. After getting it jumped the check engine light, the VDC Off, and SLIP light came on.
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
I never got a response from my last response...
Nissan Mechanic: 6Bucs, ASE Certified Technician replied 16 days ago
With the oil level checked and the switch replaced it’s important to have the oil pressure checked with a manual gauge. Low pressure can cause the p0340.
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Thank you,
How would I go about checking the oil pressure with a manual gauge?
And should I still replace the camshaft sensor as well?
The car is not starting at all now. So I have it sitting waiting to figure out how to go about this the correct way n
You can purchase or rent an oil pressure tester. Remove the oil pressure switch and thread the hose of the tester into the port where the switch went. Run the engine until warm and check the reading.
Check it cold at idle and again at operating temperature. Do not replafe the cam sensor at this time.
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Ok Thank you so much.
I'm going to go look for a manual gauge now.Question: If there was a problem with the oil pressure, would that not be indicated on the oil pressure gauge on the dashboard?
Modern gauges have built in presets designed not to alarm drivers during normal operation. If the gauge was showing oil pressure in real time under normal operation it would constantly fluctuate between 25 and 70 psi and appear that there may be a problem. With the warning light coming on and the cmp code it really sounds like the oil pressure is actually low to me. Testing manually will let us know either way without guessing and spending money needlessly on parts.
6Bucs
6Bucs
6Bucs, ASE Certified Technician