Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Stopped accelerating. Idled home. Car finally dies. Won't…

Customer Question
Stopped accelerating. Idled home...

Stopped accelerating. Idled home. Car finally dies. Won't start now

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

New battery. No corrosion.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

06 Maxima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

No not really. There's been an issue with humming when the car is off. Linked it to the ABS system. Removed the fuse that's by the battery. Humming stopped. It had been draining the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. Thank you.

Submitted: 17 days ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/2/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 17 days ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

First thing we need to do is determine if it is spark or fuel related, So can you spray some quick start into the intake as someone cranks the engine? I will be back on tomorrow to view your findings so we may continue.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I'll pick some up tomorrow after work
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Ok got it off work late today, but I picked up some of the quick start spray. Gonna have to try in the morning.
Nissan Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 15 days ago

ok will check back then.

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Update. Car wouldn't start. Hear clicking so starter was engaging but battery doesn't have enough juice to start? jump starting failed. In the morning on my way to work I'll bring it to Pep boys to check/test it.

I would do an AVR test , this checks out the entire charging and starting circuit and will tell you definitely where to look. You can also check at night with the lights on then try to crank it , if the lights go very dim it can either be the starter drawing too much or the battery draining to fast. If the lights stay bright with hardly any change then the starter circuit is not getting to the starter. I will check back with your info tomorrow.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician