Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 04 titan is cutting out when I get on the gas. It will…

My 04 titan is...

My 04 titan is cutting out when I get on the gas. It will throw a code for my o2 sensor witch I replaced and it still showed it wasn’t working. It’s showing it’s stuck in close loop.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Titan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, changed the sensor, cleaned the mfs sensor, swapped relays in the computer. Checked the injectors and coils.

Sorry meant cleaned the MAF sensor when I did that it ran fine for 24 hours then threw the code for my O2 sensor again.
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/2/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What are the exact codes you are getting?

Not sure off the top of my head. But I think I figured out the problem I unplugged my MAF sensor and my truck stayed running, so I would guess my MAF sensor is bad.

If the truck stays running with the MAF sensor unplugged, it's very likely. The 02 sensor will cause the close loop code.

I replaced the o2 sensor and and checked wires but it still throws the code. Would the MAF cause it to pop up?

What 02 sensor did you change and what is the code number?

It was sensor 1 bank 2. Not sure on the codes a buddy checked them for me.

What is the code number and where is the sensor located you replaced? Drivers side or Passenger side?

Passenger side closest to motor. Waiting on mechanic to text back with codes.

Thank you. That is Bank 2. That is why you still have the code. Bank 1 is the drivers side.

The MAF is why I still show the code? I replaced the sensor on bank 2 sensor and it still pops up closed loop bank 2.

Bank 2 is the passenger side. Bank 1 is the Drivers side. You have 4 02 sensors..

Yeah it said it was bank 2 and I replaced sensor on passenger side. I think he said it was the air/fuel ratio sensor. That should of took the code away, but it didn’t.

Air Fuel Ratio Sensor is sensor 1 not sensor 2 and it's a different sensor.

did I need to change the back one? It said air/fuel ratio sensor bank 2 sensor 1. So I changed the one on the passenger side closest to engine.
Witch is the one my mechanic told me to change.

Bank 2 Sensor one you get from the inner fender area.

that’s the one I changed

Did you clear the code after you were done?

it popped as soon I started the truck. I think it was code P0051. I’m not positive on the code. Last night I cleaned my MAF sensor and it ran fine with for 24hours with no codes. then went back to doing it again. But like I said earlier if I unplug the maf sensor the truck stays running.

How did you clear the codes?

Also what did you clean the MAF sensor with?

MAF cleaner. My buddy cleared them with his computer.

Well if the truck does not run since cleaning the MAF sensor, but runs with it unplugged, that is a indication of a bad MAF sensor.

As for the Sensor, if you got the sensor after market, it may not work right. Would need to know the exact code you are getting to really help determine anything else with the A/F sensor

I’m pretty sure it was p0051

K.. Hang on while I check that code..

P0051 is not a good code.

There is P0037, P0038, P0057, P0058. Those are the closest to that code.

K I’m not sure then. I’ll message you back as soon as my mechanic gets back ahold of me. Thank you for your time. Out of curiosity would a bad MAF sensor cause that o2 sensor to run in a closed loop?

If it's after market I have seen it cause 02 sensors to flat line and have you replacing sensors you don't need to replace. You always want to stick with the dealer when it comes to electrical parts.

I haven’t replaced the MAF sensor yet.

Then I just advised you as to why you should replace it with one from the dealer.

I reminder him showing me a graph with the truck running and said the o2 sensor should make it jump every 5-10 seconds but it wasn’t.
Would that be what you meant by flatlining

When you are reading the sensor as a Graph, A/F sensors read differently than a 02 sensor. The rear 02 sensor should be more or less a flat line with a blip in it ever once and a while

K when I get ahold of him I’ll let you know more. Thanks for your time.

You got it. Your welcome..

The code was P1168.

That is the closeloop code for Bank 2 Sensor 1. So we are dealing with the Passenger upper A/F Sensor. Where did you buy the sensor you installed?

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician