Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Yesterday it suddenly became nearly impossible to start.

Yesterday it suddenly became...

Yesterday it suddenly became nearly impossible to start. 2000 Nissan Frontier, auto, 4wd, 3.3 engine. Only cranks intermittantly, other times just spins or grinds. When I DO get it started, the RPMs are very low on idle, and power is awful. At about 2500 rpms it gets near normal power back. The day before I just had some major brake work done on it, don't see how it could be related.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

170 k miles, 3.3 liter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

I see you are a computer

4/1/2018
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech

hi my name is ***** ***** i will be helping you today ,. is the service engine soon light on ?

No

did you check for spark at the plug wire when trying to start

No, but it did eventually get it to start, and it does not seem to be missing, just incredibly sluggish until reaching higher rpms
just had new plugs, wires, and distrib replaced last year

with no code and a hard start and low power this sounds like a bad distributor to me this is a very common problem on this engine ,i recommend you check for spark when the engine do not start if no spark replace the distributor again .

Ok, thanks for the suggestion!

your welcome please rat ethe service before you go thanks

Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Hi Clifton - It turned out that about 5 inches of "teeth" on the timing belt had come off. I had the timing belt replaced and everything is fine now. Miraculously there was no damage done to the valves/engine.

ok that would stop the distributor from turning

It caused a great deal of puzzlement for awhile, since it was intermittant.

i can see that been the case