Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The check engine light came on in my 2008 nissan frontier…

The check engine light...

The check engine light came on in my 2008 nissan frontier and the codes are U1001 and U1000 CAN (controller area network) and it cut off the power to the starter only and everywhere i look it says to loosen clean and retighten all the ground straps but i was wondering if it could be a fuse or something like that.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried cleaning all the ground straps i can find and cleaning the negetive terminal on the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No i believe that is it.

4/1/2018
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

it is not a fuse. its a wiring issue. the can bus wiring is either open or shorted.

ok could it be a broken wire somewhere in the can bus wiring.

absolutely

what size engine?

v6 4.0L

ok. standby please

ok the only way to tell which bus is the problem is to have a consult 2 scan tool communicate with each module in the vehicle. the can bus communicates with the ECM,TCM,ABS,INSTRUMENT PANEL MODULE, BCM, EBCM, TCCM, etc....

ok would a nissan dealer have one of those scan tools im guessing they would.

yes, thats the Nissan Specific scan tool all nissan dealers use

one more thing i forgot to mention when the light came on the truck started to take off like it doesn't shift down from like 3rd or 4th gear so it takes a while for it to get going, would this can bus thing have something to do with that like putting the truck into a limp mode of some sort.

absolutely and the can bus issue is probably between the ECM and the TCM

ok thank for your time and help.

You are very welcome and Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow-up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of. Happy Easter
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

thank you very much