Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I purchased a used 2005 Nissan Maxima. I just received a…

Customer Question
I purchased a used...

I purchased a used 2005 Nissan Maxima. I just received a call from the shop: apparently it needs a new radiator and alternator belt. They also told me I need a "front pipe". The operation code is EX22 and I am trying to figure out what its purpose is cost and labor is $1182!)

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? How many miles are on the car?

142,000 miles. I don't know how old the battery is, but they had to replace the terminal....

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, we gave it to my daughter who has no mechanical abilities, thus she took it to a Nissan Dealership. The kicker - she is in Detroit and we are in Chicago and now I'm trying to find a honest estimate (since it is obvious that she would never be able tot do the work herself.)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm just frustrated since I paid more than what I initially wanted to pay for a used car exactly because I didn't want something like this to happen. She's had the car less than a month!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Nissan
3/30/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 3 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

The Radiators when they leak they leak at the seems. So that is around 2 hours labor. to replace drive belts, that is around 1 hour labor. To replace the front flex pipe, that is around 2 hours labor also. So I don't know the shops hourly rate, but 5 hours at 125 and hour is $625.00. If you include parts, Radiator 400, drive belts 50 bucks, front flex pipe 400.00 and include the labor, now your at $1475.00 for everything ( ball park prices on parts )

the front pipe is part of the radiator?!?! They told me a needed the following, and each line apparently includes labor:
Radiator: $365.53
Hose (lower ) - radiator : 35.11
Hose (Upper) - radiator 33:46
Thermostat - $123.60
Belt - Alternator - $84.51
Front Pipe - $1,182.33
for a total of $1824.54. For this sound correct?

That front pipe, you can get after market for much less. The Radiator price sounds like it could be after market, but if that is factory, that is a good price. I can understand wanting to do hoses with the radiator also.

The Thermostat I would not do unless there is issue with the car over heating ( not over heating cause it's low on fluid ) Theremostats rarely go.

Alternator belt, is that parts and labor $84.51?