Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 i30 that cranks but wont start. I've narrowed…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 i30 that cranks but wont start. I've narrowed it down to no fuel injector pulse. Security light is off when ignition is turned.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

Blinking without key, off when ignition is turned. I've tried resting it, yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your I30 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It all started with replacing valve cover gaskets, once I was done it wouldn't start, and was throwing a CPK code.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've dpne the fuel pump/filter, ignition coils, spark plugs, and fuel pressure regulator. the CPK code was due to a harness I forgot to plug in.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Nissan
3/29/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 25 days ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

With the key ON, can you tell me if you have constant battery power to one of the two injector wires at the injector connector?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Alright, so using a test light, getting power from solid wire on 3 different injectors (with other end of test light connected to negative terminal)

Alright, we have constant power to the injectors, but we have no injector pulse when cranking is that correct? Is there any codes set now? or is it setting no codes?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Right, no pulse when I've checked, no codes since I resolved the CKP code.

Alright, can you tell me if it has spark when cranking to the plugs?

The wiring diagram for the fuel injectors are pretty simple. They are split into two sides, so 1 3 5 injectors are powered up by one fuse, and the ground goes right to the ECM, and another fuse powers up 2,4,6, and the ground wire goes straight to the ECM on those as well. Check these diagrams.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
it was getting spark before, and was starting with starter fluid.
Just tested again after you asked, and wasn't sparking. Checked codes again and suddenly it's throwing p1614-NATS malfunction.

interesting, that would explain the fuel injectors not pulsing, do you have a spare key to the vehicle by chance?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Unfortunately, no.

Alright, Disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes, try it after that, also, make sure there are no other keys on your ring that may interfere with the infiniti key being read properly.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Alright, so I tried that. With only the infiniti key on the ring, i cranked it a few times, and still no start. Code hasn't come back yet after 6 attempts to start.

Alright, But you still have no injector pulse on these last six attempts?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Sorry for delay, got caught up with other stuff.
So after testing, now I've got fuel injector pulse, and I've got spark.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
just so you know, I have tested fuel pressure, and that's good too (last I checked at least)
Nissan Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 24 days ago
It still won't start with spark, fuel pressure and injector pulse?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I mean, I didn’t check every single coil/plug and injector harness, but yeah. I can try again with starter fluid, and see if it doesn’t immediately die out again.
Nissan Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 23 days ago
If you have injector pulse at one injector it should be okay at all the others and if you have spark at one coil then it should be good. Look real close at the valve cover gasket and the cylinder head. make sure there's no wires pinched between them.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Can't find any pinched wires at all.
The car runs relatively steady for 2-3 seconds on starter fluid, then cuts out. Immediately cuts out if the gas pedal is touched at all.
Nissan Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 21 days ago

That does sound security related to me. Let me opt out, and see if another expert has another suggestion if all the wires looked good. Thank you.

Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 21 days ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you turn the key to the ON position, is the security light ON SOLID?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
No, the light goes off. Security light behaves the same way as another i30 my neighbor has.

I am looking to see what the security light is doing when the key is turned to the ON position.. Is the light ON or OFF?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Off

Thank you. That is a good thing.

Did you check all your engine grounds after you had the plenum removed? Do you know if you have any codes? What was the crank sensor code you had?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
As of right now, there’s no codes.The crank sensor was something to do with ckp, maybe p1336, I can’t remember, but I’m almost positive it was due to me accidentally leaving the harness to the crank pos sensor unplugged on accident. I did not test the grounds.

I would go through the harness and double check your engine grounds, cause a poor engine ground can cause this.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok, so what exactly should that entail? Just making sure every harness is grounded where it should be and not grounded where it shouldn’t?

Those are the major engine grounds. So I would check them...

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician