Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

88 Nissan Pathfinder xe v6 4x4 3.0literv6 suddenly at

Customer Question
88 Nissan Pathfinder xe...

88 Nissan Pathfinder xe v6 4x4 3.0literv6 suddenly at between 65 and 70 mph acts as if it’s going to stall out almost as if it misses. It has no power and will not get to 80mph. Uphills it is gutless And is necessary to downshift from 5th to as low as 2nd on the interstate

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It surges in no particular order

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

It just started I’ve checked for loose plug wires and any possible melted wiring I’ve driven from Vancouver wa to Utah in the last two days so I thought maybe something fried

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has ran absolutely perfect with exception of a possible power steering or oil leak on passenger side for which I’ve maintained full fluid levels

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Nissan
3/29/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 3 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What brand spark plugs do you have in this engine?

Did you do any work on the truck recently before this issue started?

No it ran amazing for 500 of the 1400 miles I am trying to finish out

Ok, bear with me, this is a old truck and it doesn't spit out codes to help determine what could be going on. So I am going to just shot out what I have seen which can cause this so you can have it checked..

I ok

So one of the most common thing I recall seeing on these older trucks is with the two injectors on the throttle chamber, they tend to dump to much fuel which can cause a imbalance of air and fuel which can certainly cause a missing feeling, jerking, bogging & stalling. So that would be the first thing I would check for your issue!

But I have 2 more thoughts as well....

Ok

2nd thing is the MAF sensor. Now when it comes to these type of electrical parts, they really need to be checked before replacing cause the after market ones never work right. So be sure it needs it before you replace it. This is what meters the air going into the engine so the computer can determine how much fuel to add to the air coming into the engine. If the MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor is not metering air properly it can also cause the same thing as injectors that are dumping to much fuel. It's also a imbalance of air and fuel.

3rd and last thing is the actual distributor. The distributor has the cam sensor built into it that is a optical sensor type. So if the optical sensor glitches, it can cause a shutter, jerking feeling and certain cause stalling, hard start issues and eventually no start issues.

So those are the 3 most common things I recalled with these older Nissan Trucks...

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Have a power stereo hose leak near the egrasdembly would this damage the egr

Power steering hose leaking on the Egr is not good cause if fluid accumulates on the diaphragm the heat will cause it burn and eventually damage it. That will start the truck not to start and stall, it would make it pretty much un driveable,.

Do you have any more questions on this