Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The speedometer doesnt work and when reading the codes i get…

The speedometer doesnt work...

The speedometer doesnt work and when reading the codes i get po500 maxima 2005 se

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

We have reset the battery and cleared the code in the past and it reappears we have also replaced the front ABS sensors and are currently working on replacing the rear sensors

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not repairing it just myself and replaced all of the abs sensors

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We also have checked the revolution sensor wheich is what originally came up but foudn out it was unplugged afterwards this p0500 code is there now

3/27/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you happen to keep change by the display screen?

what do you mean?

By your display screen there is a little ledge that people tend to put change on..

no i do not

I have seen where the Unified Meter / Ac Amp which sits below that display screen, change falls in and can cause the meter to work properly.

Do you have a scanner to monitor abs wheel sensors?

we have replaced the front ABS sensors with no success and sadly we do not have a ABS wheek scanner

Well, you can't just replace sensors with out checking them. The car has ABS sensors on all 4 wheels. Those reading are sent to the ABS control module and then shared with the TCM and ECM which then tells the Unified Meter / AC amp which then allows the cluster to get the proper reading.

This car has a CAN system which is a communication network. So all these control units share information. So when you are diagnosing this code, you have many control units you are checking signals from to see if they are all getting the signal..

So I am afraid if you don't have the proper scanner to monitor signals, then it would need to be taken to a shop that can. This way they can isolate your issue so you don't put parts in the car you don't need.

we will take the care to a shop and see what they see wil message you back as soon as i have results

You got it..

have it scheduled for tomorrow will let you know results

You got it..

took the car to midas to have abs codes read and no codes came up

Where they able to monitor vehicle speed from each sensor? Could they read vehicle speed in any control unit?

in truth i wasnt there i had someone drop it off and when it got there they scanned it and found no abs codes... but as well couldnt find the p0500 code but with my obd2 reader i can so imnot soo sure the midas tech states he thinks its the cluster but im not sure when i have my obd2 readon on it i couldnt read any speed coming from the speedometer so im not sure
they did find that the car has a camshaft positiong sensor reading faulty but i have a hard time believing that would control the speedometer

Cam Sensor code can cause hard starting, stalling and no start issues. But you don't want to use after market parts for that.

I would check the unified meter / AC amp for your cluster issue. That is what sends all the information to the cluster.

what shoudl we check for with the unified meter/AC Amp ?

I would check to see if that is able to read the signals and see if there is any codes stored in it

how would you check to see if any codes are stored on it?
could this cause a p0500 code ?

If there is a issue with the unified meter.. Sure !!!

gotcha which then wouldnt appear in the ABS system gotcha so how would you read the unified meter codes?

You would need a advanced level scanner to communicate with it to check signals and codes.

did we just do that?
if this unit needs to be replace would this be the correct part https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-04-05-06-NISSAN-MAXIMA-A-C-CLIMATE-CONTROL-AMP-AMPLIFIER-MODULE-60-DAY-WARR/371731894776?fits=Year%3A2005%7CModel%3AMaxima&hash=item568cf291f8:g:7u4AAOSwH09ZFKiw&vxp=mtr
im doing some additional looking up on this and seems to be this issue often has all of the cluster gauge failing but your saying that the speedometer could be at fault due to the unified meter

That is it! the ribbon connector looks broken at the connector. But I would use your ribbon cable if it needs to be replaced.

Just the speedometer is not working right? If it is just the speedometer. I monitor vehicle speed signals through all control units to see where I am loosing the signal

the speedometer is not working but one time when i was driving it the fule gauge was kind of dramatic and went from half a tank to quarter and back by simply pushing the accelerator is this normal? if not is that aslo another symptom of the unified control meter
secondly the rpm in the cluster are off from the obd2 rpm readings

What do you mean they are off? How much are they off? Cause then we could be looking at a cluster

rpm is often off by 500rpm so if the car is running at 700rpm the cluster shows 1200rpm

Yeah.. Now that sounds like a cluster issue. So if you can monitor Rpms signals with a scanner and the scanner shows the actual and the cluster does not, then that does sound like a cluster issue.

does the cluster need to be flashed to work with another one or should i get the current one repaired?

The only thing it would need is the mileage calibrated to it.

gotcha so would it start with a replaced one

Yes, if you got a used on, it would work

we have replaced the cluster and all of the lights came up now so the ABS check engine etc etc i have orderd a ECM ABS TCM and SRS scanner so that we can read the codes coming from the ABS unit also have replaced the camshaft sensor and is running a lot better
lastly have also replaces the unified meter to see if that was faulty... P.S. the RPM are now reading properly

Glad you got the cluster working right.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

well speedometer still doesnt work

Oh, it doesn't.. Then you will need to check the ABS system for that.

Have a update for you reading abs codes and I'm getting a can come circuit u1000 code
ecm is reading u1001 p1574 p1212 while driving the ecm can't read the speed but what appears in the scanner as "at" can read the speed assuming this is the transmission or abs

U1001 is a CAN communication code. When you have a CAN code, you have to disregard all other codes until you resolve the U1000 or U1001 code. You get this code when there is a communication issue between control units. Since all control units communicate with each other, when one is not communicating, you get this code. So then CAN diagnostics need to be done to see what control unit is not communicating so it can be checked or replaced as needed. Most cases the U1001 code is due to control unit failure. So it will require CAN Diagnostics to determine which one..

hello we are currently working on the car and am wording if you know where the ECM is located

2005 Maxima Ecm if I remember right is located behind the glove box.

Let me double check.

Yeah.. It's behind the glove box. So the glove box would need to be removed to access it.

thank you

Your welcome

ok so we have another diliema we had installed another ecm that car wouldnt start and security light on we figure the key would need ot be programmed for the car we heard a ticking sound coming from somewhere so we now installed the old ecm back and we still have this ticking sound anthing you can think of that would cause this
also the car does not start with the old and new ecm

I am currently working. Can we continue this later this evening around 7pm EST?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sure
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
found out it was the battery jumped it and stated right up were going to take the car to dealer and have them program the keys to the new ECM sounds like that would work?

You got it... Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. You Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello we just called a local dealer about having a key made for the car with the new ecm and they state it would need to be flashed and they could only use there is that accurate or just a sale pitch

accurate or just a sale pitch?... huh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
like you stated yesterday you would have to install the ecm and program a key and that should be it but the dealer states that you would have to have the ecm flashed

Yes, the Ecm comes blank so it will need to be reprogrammed and all keys programmed if the Ecm has to be replaced.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician