Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Its my daughters car and she is away at college with the 05…

Hi its my daughters...

Hi its my daughters car and she is away at college with the 05 xterra its happened 2x both times we had AAA tow it to a shop we found. As they diagnosed it the problem no longer existed. 1 time it stalled while driving and wouldn't restart. 2nd time she drove it to the gym and upon leaving she started the car and it stalled instantly

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?

It has to be an electrical problem with an open circuit. Possibly a cam sensor? no im not able to repair it. The car is 1000 miles away

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all i know at the moment

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Do you know if it's got any codes stored in it? Check engine light on?

no lights
you cant call? can we text here?

Ok, I do agree with the cam sensor or crank sensor idea, but usually you will get code for them.

I would look at a problem with the ECM relay in the IPDM, this is the large fuse and relay box under the hood. What they can do is swap the fog light relay for the ecm relay and see if the issue is resolved. Normally when this problem happens it's the result of a bad ecm relay. There was even a recall on it. If you contact the dealer with the VIN, then they should be able to tell you if the recall has been done or not, but even if it has, this could still be the problem.

Sorry I am not able to do a call at this time.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to earn a 5 star rating and of course if you need more help let me know.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Hi Mike
I appreciate your help and will look into the ECM issue.

Just the relay my friend. The ecm itself is fine, but the relay's get hot and then stop working. Then once they cool off they begin working again. Never sets a code.

thank you I did mean ECM relay

It's all good, I just don't want to see you spending major bucks for a relay problem. Not to mention, if it is the relay the new ecm wouldn't do any good at all.

Hey Mike I just contacted my daughter who drives the xterra. She said that she has a dash light on. Its the Key

Is this with the car running or won't it start again?

Does the light go off when she turns the key on?
This can mean something completely different

Ill check

Sounds good, good to know if we can narrow it down.

Sorry for the delay My daughter is in college in florida and Im in New york. She will go out to the car in a few minutes to check all
systems

No problem my friend. If I don't reply immediately, I am grabbing some dinner, I'm in NY too

ok cool thank you

I won't leave you hanging. If the light is going out when she goes to start it, I would still go with the relay.

If not, then the issue is likely the immobilizer, if I had to guess maybe an aftermarket key that's losing the programming. Nevertheless, I will be working till 8 or so today.

ok thank you
should that key an OEM key
Hi Mike I just got off with my daughter. There is no code. So i will go with the ECM relay. Im traveling to florida for Easter and will plan on picking up the relay before leaving New York. Should that be an OEM part? Whats your opinion?
Clifton B.
Clifton B., nissan master auto tech
Phone call session started
I'LL wait for Mike to come back from dinner
great thank you

You are very welcome. Let me know if you need anything else and safe travels to Fl.

Happy Easter

Same to you. I will be on all week except Sunday if you need anything.

excellent

If you wouldn't mind rating my answer, I would appreciate it. It doesn't close the question or anything, you will still be able to post here to get to me.

Thank you so much!

Good morning Mike.
I’m planning on picking up that ECM relay today at a dealership. Is there a procedure to install it on the 05 Xterra

No, actually you just need to find it in the diagram I sent you, once you find it in the fuse box it will pull out. You'll have to wiggle it a bit and might need a screwdriver, but that's really all you'll need to get it out of the box.

I have the diagram. Should I disconnect the battery

I would either disconnect the negative cable, or unplug the connectors on the IPDM. Just to be safe, you really shouldn't need to but better safe then sorry! If you can unplug the connectors it will affect less, like the engine idle, radio presets and all that.