Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Same thing that they mention on this thread: It's a 2008…

Hi Pearl, same thing...

Hi Pearl, same thing that they mention on this thread: https://www.justanswer.com/nissan/2pdit-03-infinity-g35-felt-died-slip-light-battery.html

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Nissan?

It's a 2008 Infiniti G35

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G35 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet, was thinking of taking it somewhere to run the diagnostic and not sure if someplace like an autozone is good enough. the problem is i'm visiting my family, so don't have access to my regular mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am also due for my 90k mile tuneup, I'm at 90.3k currently

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Nissan Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Are you also seeing the battery light on the dash with other lights as well?

Well when this happened, i was on the freeway going slow in heavy traffic. I first noticed the battery light, and the brake light and thought that was strange. a few seconds later my engine shut off and I merged to the shoulder. I stopped and started looking up my AAA info and then after a few minutes my car was back on, and those lights were off. I was able to drive the rest of the way to my sister's house at normal speeds and those lights flickered on once or twice but never came back on. I haven't driven my car yet since I parked it - but yes, those lights had stayed off.

Great! Thank-you! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

Ok, as Jay had mentioned in that thread you read, when these dash lights are lit, this is a common sign of a fault in the Charging System. More commonly, this a faulty alternator or a weak battery. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running (if you need to jump-start the vehicle, make sure to remove the jumper cables before testing), take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion and that the serpentine belt is tight around the alternator pulley at this time. If the battery terminals do show corrosion, some hot water with baking soda in it and a toothbrush work great to clean them. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Ok great - this sounds about right, Jay - yes, I think i'll take it to Autozone and see from there... Thank you so much for your help. Question though, for this service I had seen a banner that said the fee was $5 and then when I went ahead and signed up, I now see I was charged $20. what happened?

Unfortunately, I have no control over billing what so ever. I am simply a "user" just like yourself. The website connects question asking users with question answering users and they handle everything in between. If you have a billing question, you will need to contact customer service. There should be a link at the bottom of the page. They're really good over at customer service! They'll take good care of you!

Ok, sounds good. Will do. Thanks for your help, Jay - have a great day.

Glad I could be of some help! Please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page! Have a great day!

Will do... thanks!

You're welcome! If you're having a hard time finding the stars or can't leave a rating, please let me know! Thanks!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Nissan Tech -
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Nissan Tech -