Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R, 3.5L. 118,000 Miles.

Customer Question
second opinion] Have a 2006...
second opinion] Have a 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R, 3.5L. 118,000 Miles. Starting a couple years ago, when sitting in traffic or a drive through for example, the car would start to idle up on its own. This happened whether the AC was on or not or any other load or not on the motor. Finally it got to the point it was idling up so high that it caused the Temp to raise and eventually blew the head gaskets. My friend and I are pretty savy with cars, so we replaced the head gaskets ourselves. Had the heads milled and tested. All was well. Put on a new timing chain, water pump, oil pump, and new valve cover and gaskets while we were there. Also replaced all new plugs, coil packs, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors, throttle body, cam position sensors, crank position sensor, ran new ground lines for the motor, just about anything possible to figure out WHY the car is still idling up at a stop. (It causes the engine to overheat because of the high idle, transmission shifts very poorly, very strong odor of unburnt fuel from the exhaust.) Also had the ECM repaired as several solder points were found to be fractured. Did nothing at all to correct the idle problem. We have literally been battling this problem for 2 years with ZERO luck. Have taken it to the Nissan dealer on several occasions, only to have them tell me they cant figure it out and they reset the idle in the ECM to the correct RPM and send me on my way. Within a mile of driving it returns to the higher idle. (by high idle I mean about 1,000-1200 RPM in gear with foot on the brake. The car literally is trying to pull itself away). Something else weve noticed recently, when the engine is cold the problem doesn't exist. After driving the car for a few miles and everything getting up to normal temp....then the problem starts. Problem will continue until the car sits overnight and has another fresh start in the morning. Any suggestions on what the problem is? Even the mechanics at Nissan have said I've basically rebuilt the car brand new with all that Ive replaced. Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Nissan
3/26/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 30 days ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Please give me a min to review your question

The idle issues is most likely just going to require a Idle Relearn. But the over heating part it should not do. The only thing I would say that is causing that is that the coolant system was not bleed properly. That is the number 1 reason for these vehicle to run hot..

Did you clean the throttle chamber also?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The throttle chamber has been replaced brand new. The idle relearn has been done by me at least a dozen times and at least 6 times by the dealer. Within minutes the car goes back to the fast idle.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Also the ECM has been flashed by the dealer 3 times also.

Did you get the Throttle chamber and electrical sensors from the dealer? or did you get them at your local auto parts store?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
They are all OEM Hitachi parts from the dealer.

You went to the dealer and brought the parts?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Purchased from the parts counter at the Nissan dealer. Any electronic or mechanical parts I purchase from the dealer. Learned the hard way about aftermarket parts on other cars before.

Yeah.. Most people do learn the hard way. Are you using a scanner to do the Idle Relearn? Any codes?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I’ve done the relearn myself doing it the “turn key to on, press pedal 5 times, wait for SES light to flash, etc”. The dealer has also used their scanner and software to do the idle air relearn. No codes at all. Just an obvious fast idle. (Rpms running about 1000-1200, shifting horribly, engine heating up when in gear at a stop light...because the engine is running fast and I’m holding it back by braking.) just a couple weeks ago the dealers senior master tech did the relearn on the idle. It was idling at 700 beautifully. Before I could get out of the parking lot it was back to 1000 rpms again. Took it back to the tech immediately, he acknowledged the motor was running fast back to 1000 again. He once again did the relearn procedure. Before I could make it out of parking lot, fast idle again. This went on 4 times before the tech finally said he didn’t know and walked away.

So if it keeps loosing it's calibration, I would be checking the throttle chamber ( even though it's new ) it could be defective.. Or it could be something with the Ecm.

Did they do a Ecm reprogram?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
ECM has been repaired, they found some fractured solder points, and the ECM has been reprogrammed 3 times. No change at all.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
This is also the 3rd throttle chamber on the car. Like you said, thought it was maybe defective. None of the replacements made any change to the car at all.

So it was repaired, not replaced.. The ecm?

Was was wrong with the ecm that it was repaired?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Correct, repaired not replaced. It was recommended that I have the ECM checked out to see if there was something wrong with it causing the problem. It was found to have 4 fractured solder joints. They were all repaired by a auto computer repair center and the ECM then reflashed by Nissan. Made absolutely no difference at all.

I have never seen a Ecm repaired properly. So I am wondering if that is your issue.

The thing also is when you do the Idle Relearn with the scanner. If it doesn't take, then some load is staying on keeping it from accepting the relearn. But if it's saying complete, that is not the case. 3 throttle chambers, I am sure it's not a throttle chamber issue.

I have seen power steering pressure switches cause idle relearn issues but that when you try to have it do the relearn. It won't complete cause of it. Try unplugging the power steering pressure switch and do a manual relearn and lets see if it accepts it...

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I have also pulled a used ECM from an 2006 SER at the junk yard. (I also own a second SER, but it’s a 2005....ECMs don’t match) and I’ve had it reprogrammed for my car. Made no difference then my original ECM before or after it was repaired.

Try unplugging the power steering pressure switch and do the idle relearn and see if it accepts it and then start the car a few times and see if idle returns..

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician