Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2015 Nissan Altima 2.5SL with 26k miles. Horn randomly beeps…

Customer Question
2015 Nissan Altima 2.5SL...

2015 Nissan Altima 2.5SL with 26k miles. Horn randomly beeps 3-4 times rapidly. Sometime while driving, sometimes when stopped and ignition just turned off. One time the "Panic" beep started and I had to pull over and shut the car off, use the remote to unlock and lock the doors before continuing on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just started two days ago, was going to start by replacing the battery in my intelligent key even though there is no low battery warning indicated.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Weather is getting warmer and tire inflation is getting higher than it has been. Might readjust that too.

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Nissan
3/25/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 30 days ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your questionDo you have a remote start added to your car?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Not added, just the factory installed system

Nothing after market installed? Are you the original owner?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I am not the original owner. Off lease vehicle last November.
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 29 days ago

Based on your description, there sounds like there is something after market in the car causing this. So you may want to take the car to have it checked. There is no way the horn can sound on it's own from the factory. The only time I have seen that is when turning. That was caused by a clock spring issue. But for it to beep 3 times, that does not sound like a factory type of operation.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The horn is tied to the TPMS so I didn't know if it is also tied to something else?

The TPMS is the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. There is no Relation between that system and the horn.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
If you aren't aware of that, I'll request a refund

I have been a Nissan tech for 27 years. The horn is not part of the TPMS system...

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nissanusa.com/buildyournissan/vehicle-images/2018/ALT/XGC80NIC041B0/980b71aa5036f359d6e9e80342cefd76/Altima/2.5-SR/Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-(TPMS)-with-individual-tire-pressure-display-and-Easy-Fill-Tire-Alert/Safety&ved=2ahUKEwjX9qCB9ofaAhWJwFkKHYilCd0QFjAMegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw22xlPxa0Vsv85KTNQhXmxm

So your talking about the filling the tires with air part so the horn sounds to let you know when it's reached the proper pressures. It will only do that if the car is in park and not moving.

The horn is part of the Body Control module programming with the TPMS system. The horn can not go off on it's own when the car is moving. Only when the car is running and in park when tire pressure are adjusted would the horn just beep to let you know you have reached the proper tire pressure.

Once the car is moving, the Horn is not part of the TPMS system in any way other than when stopped and filling tires with air.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you, you've restored my faith. I'll have the car looked at, thanks for your help.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician