Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Can't locate my transmission vehicle speed sensor. And my…

Can't locate my transmission...

Can't locate my transmission vehicle speed sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to help find that for your Nissan. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

And my speedometer stopped working also

3/25/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

What year, model, and engine size is your vehicle? Thanks.

1992 Nissan D21 2.4L Automatic 2WD with floor shifter.

Thanks, ***** ***** a few minutes to look into this.

Manual says it is on top left of transmission and to access it you need to remove the transmission crossmember to lower transmission as much as possible. I'm trying to find a picture for you too, give me a few more minutes. Thanks.

I ordered a speed sensor but can't locate it on the transmission. I found where a connector matches the new vehicle speed sensor connector, and followed it down to the transmission and it was on the lower passenger side of the transmission right above the pan. Looked like a sensor but had 4309 stamped on it. Think it was a torque converter sensor.

Manual says you need to remove crossemember and lower transmission to access sensor which is on top/left but I'm still looking for a picture.

If it's on the top left which is the driver side. Would I see the cord coming from it running to something to plug into? I heard some guys just cut a hole in the floor board and removed it that way. Then just welded back up the floor.

Removing crossmember and lowering transmission is easy enough, it is amazing what people will do to try and save some time. Most of the time I see people do stuff like that it ends up taking twice as long as it would have to do it the right way. At this point I'd say remove crossmember, lower transmission, and use a inspection mirror to look around on top left of transmission but I'm still looking for a picture.

Ok I couldn't find a picture of its location. But i found pictures of what the sensor looks like. Would that cause my truck not go into 4th gear ? I've adjusted the kick down cable. Tac stopped working and later truck wouldn't go in 4th. Truck only has 103,000 miles.

Tac still doesn't work? How much longer after tac stopped working did it stop shifting into 4th?

Tac stopped and about a few weeks after the shifting into 4th stopped. It would drop down back into 3rd. Almost like it went into overdrive. I don't drive the truck daily.
Today i adjusted the kick down cable and changed trans fluid. Drove down the road to drop of trash and shifted all threw the gears. Went home turned truck off and then drove again down the road and shift threw all gears, then once I was riding in fourth for a minute or so it's like the truck dropped it's self down to 3rd gear. So I let off the gas to see of it would change but stayed in 3rd. I'm running 3000 rpms in 3rd gear.
Also the sensor I located that connects to the wiring harness by the relay switch housing that had 3 wires running to it. It also had the connector end like the speed sensor. But it was light colored with like two teeth on the right side of it holding it in place. It had no screws holding it and it was round.

T​hat looks like connector for transmission solenoids. I think you have more going on then a speed sesnsor. I'll open question back up to see if someone else can help.

Ok hoping it electrical, thinking it has to be since sometimes it changes threw the gears then some times it doesn't. Truck sat up for a few years from what I can tell.
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Your transmission Speed Sensor is only for the Speedometer operation. Does the speedometer work?

No Speedometer does not work.

Do you have a Check engine light on also?

Is there two different kinds of speed sensors cause the one I got doesn't have a gear on it. It Looks like a piston and has a magnet in it.
No check engine light is on.

The speed sensor for the speedometer is the one with the gear on it and is normally located towards the tail shaft of the transmission.

I started adjusting my kick down cable and it kinda started going into 4th but would eventually would drop back down into 3rd. It's like the truck down shifts it self. 3rd gear feels like I'm riding with the over drove on but I'm not. I can push the over drove button while it's in 3rd with almost 3000 rpms at about 45mphs and it doesn't make a difference and you can't feel it kicking on.

The kick down cable is not meant to be adjusted. It's starting to sound like you have a internal transmission issue developing.

It's for a 1992 Nissan D21 2.4L 2WD Automatic.

That sensor sits on the top of the transmission. That is not for the speedometer.

Ok I can seem to find where it is located at.
Is it at the top/left on the bell housing?

This sensor you showed me you brought, you would need to take down the torsion bars and trans mount to tip the trans down to access the top of the transmission to change it.

Can you take a picture of the side of your transmission towards the back on the passenger side? The speed sensor that controls the speedometer is normally over there and has the plastic gear on it.

Ok that's what the other mechanic told me. I also read up on some forms that it tells the ecm your speed and could be my problem.
Ok give me a few minutes and I'll see if I can see it.

The Speed Sensor that reads vehicle speed for the speedometer to work, that is the one on the back side of the transmission. This one you brought, that is a revolution sensor.

the revolution sensor is what I was told would cause it to not change gear cause it reads the vehicles speed.

The revolution sensor would not cause that. It's only a signal. This transmission is not that advanced to have a sensor affect it's mechanical operation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vq28dw9j3a0ac9n/Speed%20Sensor%20old%20truck.jpg?dl=0

this one is the speed sensor for the speedometer. The gear spins the cable going into it which goes right up to the speedometer.

That first image is the transmission range switch also know as the Park / Neutral Switch.

what would cause the truck to down shift back into 3rd or sometimes not go into 4th ?

The shift band could be worn and not holding the drum. This type of thing would require a Road test monitoring transmission pressures to isolate which gear it acting up. then the valve body is dropped and there is points from there you can air check gears to see if they can hold the proper level of pressure. If they all pass, then the valve body would need to be checked. A valve sticking in the valve body can also cause that.

That's what I was thinking also about the valve body. But heard it was trouble dealing with it springs bolts etc.

It's not something you should tamper with if you never touched one. There is check balls, Springs and valves.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Yea I don't wanna take it that far.

Transmission shop would be recommended to have them check this.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Also thinking about just putting in a 5 speed and take out the automatic.

Manual Transmission? You can do that, but you will need to change the flywheel, Pilot bearing, Clutch, Clutch Pedal, Transmission, Trans mount, Harness.

It would cost you less to fix your transmission

About how much do you think to fix it ? Also i was thinking about buying a remanufactured trans or a new one.

There is not allot of these transmission out there due to the vehicles age. Also that it's*****with a 4 cylinder. You just don't see to many of them out there..

It would be cheaper to fix the one you have.

Yea and it only has 103,000 miles on it and the body is in great shape with a clean title. It's an extended cab.

Nice.. With that kind of mileage, it's best to have it checked asap. This way you can fix it before it does any further damage.

Sounds like a sweet truck..

What speed sensor do I need to get for my transmission. I see there are a few different ones. Some with gears and some without gears.

The gear transfers over, so you would get one with out the gear. But you also want to check the speedometer cable to the speed sensor also. If the cable is broken, that also can keep the speedometer from working.

Ok the end right before it goes into the trans or to the speedometer. I had to rewire the truck and took out the tac and put it back together and in the truck. A little after that it stopped working. I took the tac out and checked it and took it all apart and it looked fine. Nothing looked broken.

When you take the cluster out, you have to make sure the cable goes back into the speedometer properly

It's kinda hard to tell if it's going it right or not. Also I changed the transmission fluid before all this started happening. I ran Castrol Multi Import in. Put 3.5 quarts.
Drove it down the road again and about a 2 miles out it went back down to 3rd. Starting to think it's the valve. Wonder also is the type of trans fluid I put in it could cause the valves to stick.

This transmission takes Nissan Matic D fluid or Dextron Mercon III.. If you used a different fluid, that can certainly cause premature failure inside the transmission

I don't like the fact it says it does Fords also. Ford Trans Fluid is much different than GM or Nissan. So I am not liking that fluid.

Can't find Dex-III.. What local stores would carry it ? Cause I'm starting to think it's the trans fluid that's causing it. All started when I changed fluid. Truck set up for a while so I decided to change it. So I guess I should of stayed with what was in it.

May want to have a transmission flush done with the proper fluid to ensure all the fluid you put in is flushed out.

I noticed yesterday when I changed the fluid to put fresh in it. It changed gears fine then a little after it went back to not going to 4th.

If the wrong fluid is used it compromises the friction material in the transmission

I need to get all that fluid completely out.

Yes..

At this point.. I would not mess with outside brand fluids. I would get the proper fluid from the dealer. Matic D

But a transmission flush would be best. Drain and fill your not going to get all the fluid out. When you do a drain and fill, you are only getting out 40% of the transmission fluid. When you do a flush, your getting 99% of the fluid out.

Ok I'll do that. Thanks for all your help and I really hope this helps me out. Like my little truck.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. You Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Ok I'll see if I can find someone local that can do it for me. Or might just have to take it to a local Nissan dealership and have them to flush and refill it.