Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I don’t have any wiper and headlights when the switch is…

Customer Question
Hi I don’t have...

Hi I don’t have any wiper and headlights when the switch is turn. Also I don’t have directional but he hazards work, everything in the car work besides headlights, wipers, and directional

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

I check all fuses and none are blown and the builds are fine. I recently had to change the whole body harness due to it melting

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2004 Nissan 350z

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 350Z yourself? What have you tried so far?

I went threw the whole car every fuse I checked the kick board on the passenger side, the one next to the battery and the one behind it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes I’m doing it myself

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Nissan
3/24/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 29 days ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

This is most commonly the IPDM. That is the control unit with fuses located behind the battery. To access it you have to remove the wiper cowl.

There is fuses in there for the head lights, wipers and so on. So what you want to do is turn the head lights on and see if the fuses are getting power with a test light. If not, then the IPDM is your issue.

Wipers, exterior lighting are all IPDM controlled.

So after you changed the Body Harness did all these items work?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
They should be getting power I just replaced the body harness in my z yesterday. Everything works besides that. All the fuses are good I checked everyone.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The wipers, directional, and headlights don’t work. Everything else, hazard, interior, brake lights all gauges work windows work. Besides those three. I replaced the harness cause it caught fire but everything worked before hand.

Did you get the Body Harness based on the vin number from the dealer?

Did you access the IPDM and check fuses yet? Can you read a wiring diagram?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No I didn’t get it from a dealer. Private sale I have an 04 and put an 03 harness in shouldn’t everything be the same? I went to the IPDM looked at the diagram and checked all fuses. Could it be the body board or do you think it’s a relay or do you think I need a new IPDM

There is different features per model. So not all body harnesses are the same.

Do you have a test light to check to see if the fuses in the IPDM are getting power?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I don’t I’d have to go to the auto store and see if they have one in the morning. The went to get the same base model to base model. Can you pull the relays out or would I have to get IPDM

The relays are not suppose to be removed and some are internal. So it would require a new IPDM. But I may need to share wiring diagrams with you for you to try to isolate your issue if your good with electrical.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
If you give me step bye step instructions to do something I can be

If you don't have electrical experience, or basic general knowledge, then you may need to take it somewhere. This site is to assist in issues. It's not a training center. It takes years to be able to understand wiring diagrams and perform proper steps to isolate issues.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I’m good just gotta tell me what I’m looking for. I’ll have to test it in the morning

Do you have a test light and volt meter?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Not with me. That means I’ll have to do it in the morning. Thank you I’ll message back tomorrow when I have it

Ok.. Talk to you tomorrow..

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks for the help and leading me in the right direction. You sure it’s the IPDM that is causing those not to work

It's either the IPDM, or something in the harness you used that maybe wired different causing this.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Maybe all the connections matched up perfect to may other harness and everything plug in nice. But I’ll do the bolt test tomorrow. Maybe it’s just a relay tripped or piped and I need a new one thank you I’ll message tomorrow

Just cause the connectors match up, doesn't mean all the wiring is the same..

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Very true didn’t see it. Is a IPDM hard to change

It's not to hard. If you can do a Body Harness. I am sure you can change the IPDM.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The wipers, directional, and headlights/taillights are all connected to the IPDM?

Wipers, Head lights, Tail lights and part of the directional circuit is all part of the IPDM. Yes...

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Alright thank you. If I message this back in the moring you’ll answer me?

Return back to this question and I will respond as soon as I can.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hey brotha do I tested everything the relay in the IPDM is getting power but it’s not sending it threw the fuse. Cause the fus isn’t getting power

Fuse 82 is not getting power?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The one behind the batter I checked all the fuses the ones that aren’t getting power to them are the wipers, lights, and directionals. But the relay for them are getting power.

Lights fuses only get power when the lights are on. Wipers get power when turned on as well.

Fuse 82, 78 & 73 are three fuses we need to see if they are getting power.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Is that the one on the floor next to the driver or in the back behind the battery

That is in the IPDM with the messed up relays...

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Is it on the floor or next to the battery

It is behind the Battery in the IPDM

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No those fuses aren’t getting power

Your checking with the ignition in the ON position right?

Is the 80 Amp fusible link ok?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The relay is good

The relay looks like crap. How is the fusible link?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Looks good. Could I fired that bored when my old harness caught fire

When you check the fuses for the lights, was the key in the ON position with the lights on?

Are you checking all the fuses with a test light? Inside and outside? Do you know how to checked fuses with a test light?

So with the key in the ON position, and head lights on what fuses are not getting power. I need the fuse number. Here is images of all the fuse boxes with the fuse locations numbered.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjdtiqrx67rn8gi/1%2004%20350%20Z%20fuse.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
82,78,73 no power

The car starts and runs?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Everything works besides those. Could I have clocked the IPDM board?

If the car starts and runs, then those fuses have to be getting power..

Was the Bcm tampered with also?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The fuses aren’t lighting up when I test them. And the BCM hadn’t been touched

So the head light fuses are not lighting up either with the lights on?

All fusible links have been checked also?

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician