Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Can I tell if my BCM is bad without paying a mechanic and…

Can I tell if...

Can I tell if my BCM is bad without paying a mechanic and will a new one require programing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

07 Titan xe king cab

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Titan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Note; I love my truck. I've recently have had issues with the air conditioner in as much that the blower motor would either operate correctly or wide open. Now suddenly the AC is inop ( the knobs do not even illuminate when the headlights are on), the gear selector lever is locked ( it can be unlocked by inserting the key in the lucky slot beside the gear shift), the trip odometer resets every time the truck is shutting off, and all gauges peg to the negative whenever the ignition is turned on for about 10 seconds.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

Yes and yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Truck cranks and operates fine.

3/24/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

Well, mechanics have families to support too, so they're not all that bad:) A new BCM will need to be programmed.

You can check it yourself with a scan tool doing bidirectional tests on the BCM, as long as you know how to do the tests and can translate the results.

Many parts stores loan/rent out tools too for this type of diagnostics.

I’ve been in the auto repair industry since 1975 and have made many improvements over
the years pertaining to proper repairs. I also share this knowledge in the classrooms I
instruct in around the country, teaching for large companies who offer high-end training
to repair shop technicians.
It all starts with listening to the customer’s complaint, confirming it and finally doing all
the needed tests to locate the problem. All these tests require thousands of dollars worth
of specialized equipment that were designed and produced for the professional
technician. So when I recommend something for you to do, though it may seem silly to
you, please trust that I’ve “been there and done that” before. Getting a baseline is critical.
Once this is done, then I confirm what I have found wrong instead of throwing parts at it,
to be sure the problem I see is NOT camouflaged by something else.
Just like when you go to the doctor’s office for a visit, they take all your vital signs such
as; blood pressure, body temperature, weight, pulse etc.
This is my approach as well, except with the cars vital signs instead. I do everything
possible to NOT leave any stones unturned because it can cause you to misdiagnose the
problem or chase your tail.
I see so many people replace everything between the bumpers to no avail and spend
money they could have saved, if they only paid for a good diagnosis.
Sad to say, I even see people offering help to someone else by just telling them what the
parts are they should replace. Ouch!! These cars are all high tech, no room for guesswork.
When the check engine light or any lights illuminate in the instrument cluster, something
is obviously wrong, and there is not a code reader on the planet that will tell you what’s
wrong, they will only give you a code that is related to the part/circuit in question.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok, excellent argument. I have, however, perused schematics and the only correlation I can find for the various circuits in question is the BCM. My question is there a simple way I can troubleshoot the module without using a diagnostic reader ( I am also aware that code interpretation is necessary when using one).
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Is the $26 live talk fee in addition to the $20 I have already paid?

You have to use a scan tool to do the tests like I said. Code readers are of no value here. The site is asking you for a phone call, NOT me. we're good right here.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Scan tool it is then.

Great, keep me posted and please remember to rate me 5 stars now/

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Would you please quit telling me every 6 hrs that you are working on an answer. It's enough to make me change my rating.

Okay, there has been an issue with the JA site that is doing that, it's not me. I will report this for you right now though. Thanks for letting me know.

eric remington

RON GOOD STATEMENTS...I JUST WANT TO ADD THAT IF BCM IS BAD TROUBLE CODES MAY EXIST IN THAT MODULE THAT AFFECTS THESE COMPONENTS. CK YOU BATTERY AND CONNECTIONS FIRST AND ALWAYS EVEN IF YOU DONT THINK THEY ARE RELAEVANT CK EVERY FUSE IN EVERY FUSE BOX WITH A TEST LITE. ENGNINE RUNNING LIGHTS ON BOTH SIDES OF ALL FUSES IN EVERY FUSE BOX SHOULD LITE UP SOME MAY NOT USE WONERS MANUAL MAP. SO THATS BASICS NEXT SCAN FOR CODES DO VISUAL INSPECTION OF AFFECTED AREAS. DO YOU HAVE A SCANNER? IF NOT WE COULD WROK AROUND IT BUT IT WOULD REQUIE PHONE CALL SO U CAN TAKE TO A SHOP OR WE COULD DO PHONE CALL

C​ONTACT CUSTMER SERVICE AND TELL THEM YOU WOULD LIKE A PHONE CALL WITH ERIC REMINGTON. THAT IS ONLY IF YOU WANT A DIAGNSOSI OVER THE PHONE WITH ME USING PROFESSIONAL SCHEMATICS AND WE CAN TEST CIRCUITS TOGETHER NOW YOU MUST PERFORM TESTING AT MY LEAD..IF YOU ARE INTERESTED CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND WE CAN SEE IF WE CAN ISOLATE PROBLEM S OR TAKE IT TO A MECHANIC OR TRY BY YOURSELF

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I would not be able to do anything until evening. I am the sole proprietor of my business and am obligated to it's demands.

I​ UNDERSTAND I SM FLEXIBLE WHEN YOU HAVE TIME BECAUSE YOU HAVE ALREADY RATED I AM UNABLE TO INITIATE PHONE CALL PROCESS. SO YOU WOULD HAVE TO ASK CUSTOMER SERVICE TO SET UP A PHONE CALL REQUEST...BUT CHECK ALL THOSE BASICS TO MAKE SURE ITS NOTHING SIMPLE

I never gave up working with you sir, I thought you were going to get the scan tool and get back with me for more assistance.

I also contacted customer service for you to let them know about the issue you were having with them contacting you all the time.

Let me know if you still need my help.

Thanks again, Ron

I'm back with you, did you ever run those tests yet with the scan too?

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor