Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I was reading your previous posts on why my nissan titan…

I was reading your...

I was reading your previous posts on why my nissan titan will not shift from 3rd gear to 4th gear. It changes easily from 1st to 2nd gear. It also will not allow me to change gears manually. I did see on a previous forum about a wire in the shifting column that gets stretched out and causes the manual shift failure but I'm not sure this would effect the reason for my transmission not to shift from 3rd to 4th or OD.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

This is an automatic transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Titan?

2004 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Titan yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm going to take the transmission pan off and check the solenoids. I'm also going to remove the steering column outer casing to get to the wires to check to see if I have a broken wire to cause me not to be able to manually shift the gears from the column shifter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's pretty much it

3/24/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Ron,
I’m a novice at best. I’ll research these issues to death but I’m not afraid to perform theses checks myself to save a dollar. I wasn’t sure if my not being able to manually shift the gears from the steering column was anyway related to the reason why the transmission would not shift on its own from 3rd gear to 4th. I did read that Nissan has an issue with a “stretched wire” in the steering column that will cause the shifter to not allow you to shift the gears manually from the column shifter. Heard anything about that?

Nope, haven't run into that,but shift solenoid failure is very common. The best way to test them is with a scan tool too by doing bidirectional tests. Most parts stores loan out tools for this too.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep this link in case you have any more questions for me.

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Ron,
Thought you'd be interested in knowing that it was the wiring in the steering harness manual gear changing. There was a red wire and a black wire that had been stripped from the connector. I by passed the connector with some extra wiring and some butt splices and not only did it allow me to perform manual shifting but the transmission changed all four gears.Thanks for your help and I'll definitely keep that in mind about the solenoids. That was going to be my second choice.Best Regards,
Tim Kiser

Thanks for the information, this should have showed up too with the bidirectional tests because they would not complete the test. That would mean a bad computer or a wiring issue.