Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

After 15 mins of stop and go traffic, 2011 Nissan maxime…

After 15 mins of...

After 15 mins of stop and go traffic, 2011 Nissan maxime hesitates when starting up. Also, once I get going the rpms will go up and down between 1500 and 2500- it feels like riding with someone that drives going up and down on the gas. Sometimes when this has gone on for awhile the car will suddenly go to 4300rpm and not go back down until I stop. Engine does not overheat.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Yes all ok. Engine never gets beyond midrange

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Code read mass air flow, replaced it, no change and light came back on in less than 35 miles. Code still a mass airflow.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it. Thank you

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/24/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Where did you get the MAF sensor you installed? and what is the exact code you are getting?

It was purchased on line. Local mechanic replaced it. Local Nissan dealer will not work on it since it was over 200k Miles and they were not the dealership that had done maintenance it was another dealership 1.5 hrs away.

The reason I asked that is cause these cars are very sensitive to the type of electrical sensors installed. After Market ones never work right. If you install a After Market MAF sensor, it can continue to throw the same code. If it does not, it can cause 02 sensor code cause it flat lines 02 sensor operation, it may also act up and not throw codes.

So if you have a Mass Air Flow Sensor code, I would suggest you get the part from the dealer. Don't get a after market one. I won a bet with my boss on this. Proved that 5 MAF sensors from 3 different Auto Parts stores did not work. They also all did something different.

Do you know the Exact code you are getting?

I will go get it read

You got it.

P0101

That is a MAF sensor code. Now I have trick to determine if the MAF sensor is metering air or not properly but you would need the kind of scanner that can read fuel trim. Cause you can get this code if you have a bad MAF sensor or if you have a vacuum leak. So the trick I have helps determine if you have a vacuum leak.

Let me explain.....

So when the car is running the computer wants to see a 50/50 mixture of air and fuel. That reading is called fuel trim. It should read around 100% give or take a few degree's. So when you have a MAF sensor not metering air properly and you want to see if it has a vacuum leak causing the codes, if you unplug the MAF sensor and start the car, the fuel trim readings will drop to a default reading of 75% (at idle, not to be driven like this ). If it drops to 75%, there is no vacuum leaks and the MAF sensor would need to be replaced if readings before unplugged was lets say 118%.

If the car did have a vacuum leak, the fuel trim readings would not be able to drop to the default reading of 75%. It would drop to lets say around 82%. So if there was a vacuum leak it would not be able to reach 75%

After Market MAF sensors never meter air properly. If you find one that does, then normally it will flat line front 02 sensor operation and can cause other issues which may have you replacing more parts and end up costing you more money.

That is why I suggest to customer when it comes to electrical parts, stick with the dealer. These cars don't like after market electrical parts.

Do you have any more questions on this?

I'LL Get the codes read and get a new maf and try thanks!

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. You Rate me by clicking the Stars on

the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Sorry that page won't load. That helped a lot. Is there an EGR on the car? Where would it be found? Tried the other scanner you suggested but theirs wouldn't connect. They are buying a new one this week. Will recheck.

You do not have a Egr.

Great. Thought that was the case. It is working beautifully this afternoon. Thanks again.

The check engine light went out and that up and down oscillation of rpms has stopped about 98%. However, especially when turning, it seems difficult for it to find power and really has a hard time accelerating for 3 to 5 seconds.

You may want to have the TPS checked to make sure that is installed properly and adjusted properly as well.