Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 2009 Nissan altima and it's sputtering and the rpm…

I have 2009 Nissan...

I have 2009 Nissan altima and it's sputtering and the rpm keeps going up and down with the car shacking

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

What could be causing that

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have not tried to fix I'm taking it to a mechanic but would like an idea of what could be causing the problem

3/24/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Is the check engine light coming on when this is happening?

No

Ok

Can you rev the engine over 3000 rpms?

Usually this issue without the check engine light on either means there is an issue with the mass air flow sensor or a plugged up catalytic converter. The check engine light not being on points to one of these problems. It is also possible the fuel pressure is weak, but I would say the most common issue is the mass air flow sensor itself. This will likely be the place to start. Usually if you have a misfire or bad ignition coil the light will come on and you'll have a code for it. Since no light is on, it points to one of these other issues.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to make this a 5 star rating for you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Is this a expensive part

The price really varies on the part. If you can get one aftermarket that will work it's about $60-$100. Usually I recommend the dealer part because the aftermarket parts don't work so well on these. Then it is more expensive. I don't have an actual price to quote you from the dealer, however. A quick search online is showing the factory part to run closer to $200

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!

Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician