Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1997 nissan maxima se i purchased about a month…

Customer Question
Hello i have a 1997...
Hello i have a 1997 nissan maxima se i purchased about a month ago. I had to have the inner and outer tire rods replaced immediately due to totally worn old ones which use to make the car jerk from side to side on its own. When i got them done the mechanic said he rotated the tires due to the front ones being worn because of the old tire rods. Its been about 2 weeks sense and today all of a sudden the car has a loud knocking sound from what sounds like the same wheel. Its stops when going over 40 and when braking. Can you help me out please
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Nissan
3/24/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If you're getting a knocking sound I'd say this could be a worn bearing or worn balljoint

jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for both sides) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If there's play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer