Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am replacing a neutral safety switch on an 02 Nissan

I am replacing a...

I am replacing a neutral safety switch on an 02 Nissan pathfinder 4x4 automatic and I want to be sure I installed it in the correct position and how to link up the gears, now the shifter will only go to park and reverse and no further, what can I do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

Idk but it was working fine before I replaced the neutral safety switch just wouldn't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is my bosses and yes I am fixing it myself, I can't find a good picture of how it is supposed to be mounted and I know something moved when I was intalking it, I so don't want to mess my bosses car lol

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I think that about sums it up

3/24/2018
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech

hi my name is ***** ***** i will be helping you today

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi cliff I'm kevin
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not with the vehicle at the moment but I need to make sure the wore goes on the top, and why now it will only go into park and reverse and that's it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wire not wore lol

because it is not adjusted correctly remove the cable loosing the bolts then line up the holes than bolt it down than put the cable on

yes wire at top

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is my bosses car and don't want to mess it up, I am having to work on it an hour at a time in the mornings and honestly can't remember how I took it off

well the pic will help you to do that correctly

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so I have it mounted right, I am confused as to why the shifter doesn't operate now ?

yo​u may have the slide in the center if the switch out of place the part that go over the shift linkage that come out the trans

remove the switch and turn the center to one side all the way

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need to completely remove the 3 mounting screws?

i believe the center have a stop

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I am totally confused lol

correct remove the switch from the trans than turn the center all the way to one side if that do not work remove it again and tune it all the way to the other side

you get what i am saying /??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you referring to the black arm on the switch that the pin from the trans arm goes into?

you remove the 12 or 14 nut from the switch correct ??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im confused because I thought the black arm had to go whereget the pin was or can I move that as well?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The switch is mounted with 3 8mm bolts not sure what you mean 12 and 14 but unless you are referring to the nut on the end of the shifter bolt
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this costing per minute ? Sorry I am doing this for my boss for free so just curious

just remove the switch put the trans in park mount the switch line up the hole then bolt the switch down then put the cable on you should be fine

no it is not it is a flat rate

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok cool, I wasn't 100% sure I had it mounted correct but if the wire comes out of the tip then I do, I was hoping that the holes (mounting) would only line up 1 way but didn't know

yes the wire at the top

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You mean from the inside the car correct (the actual shifter in park)?

yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if possible I would love to have a pic of one mounted correctly, can't seem to find one on you tube of an 02 pathfinder 4x4
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry if I was a bother just want to finish this thing lol driving me crazy, bad thing is I don't think that was the problem bc I just found out today that the engine would turn over just wouldn't crank smh
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dumb me made the mistake of mentioning that I had replaced 1 on my 92 f-150 which was a piece of cake

sorry had to restart the computer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Been there lol

i did send a pic with the instruction that is the only pic i have

the lever with the pin hole should be straight up

i​ don't see how you can even put this on wrong

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I haven't seen a pic?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Leave to me lol

just do the steps in the instruction you will be fine go back up and look for the blue link and click

do you see the link

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that for an automatic transmission?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry yes I see the link

yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok cool, well thanks for your help, hopefully I will be able to get it tomorrow smh lol

your welcome please rate the service before you go and if you have any more questions tomorrow the chat will stay open till then thanks. and have a good night

please use the rating button at the top of the chat page to rate thanks, ***** *****

Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did exactly what it said and it cranked in neutral but I have to push the shifter up for park to work and it will not go into drive smh

try the old switch

Clifton B.
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech