Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 Nissan Altima randomly starting. Baterry checked good…

2011 Nissan Altima randomly...

2011 Nissan Altima randomly starting. Baterry checked good by AutoZone my fluke indicates 12.22 volts. Changed brake light switch still randomly starts then it was like I had no power the car moved around positive terminal lug got power back. Lug clamp looks questionable no blown fuses on positive terminale.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

That is the first time it happened after removing and reinstalling battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes replaced brake light switch also this car has the second I guess you could say hidden start button or anti theft start button.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When the car does not start, what does it do exactly?

Does it loose all electrical power?

No it does not lose power it powers up press the brake press start button hear a clicking sound press second button nothing then I get the message press brake and start button. I keep trying then all of a sudden it will start.

Are you getting a Single Click? or Rapid Clicking?

Rapid clicking 5 or 6 clicks then stops.

That is normally a sign of a bad battery or a weak battery. How old is that battery?

Bought the car used a couple of months ago do not know how old. I think it might be my positive battery clamp.

If it has a after market battery terminal end. It's possible. But I would have the battery checked and if it fails I would replace it.

If you want, take a picture of the positive battery terminal so I can see and I can tell you my thoughts on it. Since you have some thoughts on that.

Had it checked the other dat they said it was good but everything indicates it is bad will buy a new clamp first it not it will get anew battery.

What ever you do, try to get the Terminal end from the dealer. Do not use after market ones. They tend to cause issues. The one from the dealer is like 20 bucks.

Okay will let you know what happens.

You got it..

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

After market hidden start button was the problem replaced with new button starts.

Jess, no way I would have been able to determine that with out seeing the car. Glad you were able to get it going and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

I agree obviously added for theft protection. I do have one more question j noticed high beams only work when pulling back on blinker arm when pressed forward for normal operation nothing.

If they come on when the stalk is pulled back, but don't stay on when pushed forward, that is a sign of bad stalk switch

Where is the stalk switch located

That is the actual switch you pull to put the light on. So it's on the steering column.

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician